1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job w/ physics bachelors?

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    Hi,

im wondering what kind of scientific jobs in high tech industry would a BA/BS in physics be able to get into? Im really interested in physics...but i fear not having a job after such hard work because physics seem so impractical. Is this the same case for a MS or PhD too?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Certain fields of physics are impractical, other are very practical. You will probably have trouble getting an industry job if you concentrated on Astrophysics courses.On the other hand, solid state physics is pretty much what the semi conductor industry is based on.

Coming out of high school, it is easy to think that physics is just one big inseparable entity, and that it all lives and dies together. In reality, physics has many different sub fields, some impractical, with no job opportunities outside academia, and others very practical, such as Solid State and Applied Physics, which open you up for jobs elsewhere.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3
    If you are not going beyond a bachelors, I would highly suggest you get an engineering degree and, along the way, take the physics classes you'd like to take.

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
  6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    Yep. Mustang engineering (not the car) for entry level position gives jobs to physicist at the b.s. level. I got an offer (math major here) to work on turbines with only a b.s. It isn't easy though. You have to fill your resume with engineering type stuff. For example, I built robots. It is a deviant from my math role, but it makes more well rounded...and i enjoy it.

7. Dec 3, 2007 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?