What Jobs Can You Get with a Bachelor's Degree in Physics?

In summary, a BA/BS in physics can lead to various scientific jobs in the high tech industry, depending on the specific subfield of physics chosen. While some fields may have limited job opportunities outside of academia, others, like solid state and applied physics, have practical applications in industries such as semiconductors. Pursuing a higher degree, such as a MS or PhD, may also open up more job opportunities. Additionally, gaining experience in engineering-related areas can make a physics degree more marketable to potential employers.
RasslinGod
Hi,

im wondering what kind of scientific jobs in high tech industry would a BA/BS in physics be able to get into? I am really interested in physics...but i fear not having a job after such hard work because physics seem so impractical. Is this the same case for a MS or PhD too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Certain fields of physics are impractical, other are very practical. You will probably have trouble getting an industry job if you concentrated on Astrophysics courses.On the other hand, solid state physics is pretty much what the semi conductor industry is based on.

Coming out of high school, it is easy to think that physics is just one big inseparable entity, and that it all lives and dies together. In reality, physics has many different sub fields, some impractical, with no job opportunities outside academia, and others very practical, such as Solid State and Applied Physics, which open you up for jobs elsewhere.

If you are not going beyond a bachelors, I would highly suggest you get an engineering degree and, along the way, take the physics classes you'd like to take.

Yep. Mustang engineering (not the car) for entry level position gives jobs to physicist at the b.s. level. I got an offer (math major here) to work on turbines with only a b.s. It isn't easy though. You have to fill your resume with engineering type stuff. For example, I built robots. It is a deviant from my math role, but it makes more well rounded...and i enjoy it.

Just came across this...

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/states/state.html

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a physics bachelor's degree?

As a physics major, you have a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem solving, and data analysis, making you a desirable candidate for a variety of careers. Some common job opportunities for physics majors include research and development positions, data analysis roles, and engineering positions.

2. Is a physics bachelor's degree necessary for a career in physics?

While a physics bachelor's degree is certainly beneficial for a career in physics, it is not always necessary. Depending on the specific job, a bachelor's degree in a related field such as engineering or mathematics may also be accepted.

3. Can I get a job in a different field with a physics bachelor's degree?

Absolutely! The skills and knowledge gained from a physics bachelor's degree are highly transferable, making you a valuable asset in a variety of industries. Some common fields that physics majors branch into include finance, consulting, and software development.

4. What salary can I expect with a physics bachelor's degree?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers with a bachelor's degree was $122,850 in May 2020. However, this can vary greatly depending on your specific job, location, and experience.

5. Should I pursue a graduate degree after obtaining a physics bachelor's degree?

It depends on your career goals and interests. A graduate degree can open up more advanced job opportunities in fields such as research and academia. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career outside of physics, a graduate degree may not be necessary.