Jobs for 16 year olds

1. Are there any jobs which require any actual work for a 16 year old? What I mean is, everyone I know who has a job works at a store packing bags. Are there any jobs which not ever 16 year old can do? Almost every job I've seen which actually does something only hires 18 year olds and up.... Next semester when I will have more time, I would like to get some job which maybe involves statistics, or basic programming, or something like that.... This type of job not only would be more enjoyable, but may also give more money and actual experience. So are there any fields like these which hire 16 year olds?

2. jcsd
  3. Not really, no. Unless you have connections in the community.

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

I can't think of anything....

5. I worked for a member of parliament last summer (I was 15 turning 16 at the end of the summer). Got paid $10 and hour to sit in an air conditioned office on Parliament Hill (where the govt is in Ottawa, Canada) and make the MP's website. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here it is: (not sure if it's up to date they stopped paying me when it was finished so I haven't updated it...although I did put javascript in so that the current date is displayed.)

www.dalejohnstonmp.com www.dalejohnstonmp.com

Jobs for 16 year olds

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  6. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was repairing the bodywork of cars at 16... how about delivering mail? Supermarket cashier? Your own company?

7. ... You worked for the tories?

8. Basic programming? Can you do anything else?

My best friend got his start programming on the cheap when he was 16. He did very basic work and got paid peanuts (minimum wage) but it challenged him.

You could probably find a place locally to do some smaller work for. That is, if you can offer something half useful in terms of programming skills.

9. I would love that, I wouldn't mind the 5.xx an hour if it challenged me and got me thinking. I am generally good at figuring things out, so some basic training would allow me to do far more. The thing is though, since I will have a light course load at my highschool next semester, I will want a job. This leaves me with a few months of time to learn to do something specific for a certain job. I will see if my dad has any "connections" to people who need someone to do non professional work.

EDIT: I am currently taking PreCalculus, I will be taking calculus next semester.

10. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Knowing basic Calculus will do nothing for you right now.

If I were you, I'd consider finding a place for basic programming like mentionned above.

Your other option is to start your own company. If you plan on taking this route, write a business plan. Don't think of one... actually write one.

11. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Do you mean basic programming... or BASIC programming?

12. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope he doesn't mean Microsoft Word and Excel. :eek:

13. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Which oddly enough is about the necessary skill for half the jobs around here :P

14. I mean, I know some limited programming. Mainly C

About people talking about my own business. How would that work, I'm going to a university when I graduate highschool in two years, plus, what kind of business can someone my age form :surprised , actually, I'll go search google :tongue:

15. I was going to start my own business when I graduated, but then my partner went down to victoria. I was gonna do it again, over the net. Then my partner got banned...

16. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

lolyour partner got banned? From what? The internet? :P

*sign on*

*"We're sorry, you have been banned from the Internet"*

17. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Ouch! :rofl:

Most jobs for 16 year olds assume you have no marketable skills or work experience, and serve the function of providing you with that experience. The only jobs I knew of at 16 that required additional skills was working as a lifeguard in the summer (that required lifeguard training/certification). But, yeah, pretty much when I was 16, people worked as cashiers in the grocery store, flipped burgers at one of the fast food chains, or worked at a store in the mall (the jobs in the movie theaters were the best because you got to see movies free), or babysat.

18. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

I hope my kids are this eager for a job at 16

19. But of course...my other options were the lying decieving (insert every negative word you can think of here) liberals or...wait, I don't want this to get into a huge political discussion because I end up writing HUGE posts and getting into really heated arguments :tongue2:

not only do I support the tories but also they paid well, I work for anybody who pays me well:biggrin:

20. I'm 19 and have never had a job. I just don't understand people who are all "I can't wait to get a job!". I am not looking forward to my first job, as it will probably involve something menial like being a bus boy or washing dishes. What a waste of my time.

21. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Yah wait till your first bill and come back and tell us how good life is without a job :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?