Jobs for 16 year olds

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Do some volunteer work. Here you can friggen build houses with habitat for humanity! I got to use a jackhammer when I helped! Man that was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Of all the volunteer opportunities around, I always thought that was the coolest! I haven't ever done it, but I know the wife of one of the other faculty members here is interested in doing it too, so maybe I'll get her to sign up with me. You do something really great for someone, get to work with other fun people, and get to learn something about building a house, which is a great thing to learn for when you're a homeowner someday!

I'm thinking of volunteering at the challenger space center which is about 100 yards from my highschool. Underlined in this picture.
http://www.1337moose.com/space/sunrise.jpg [Broken]

Bassically, I would be a tour guide or something like that. I want something else to try first though. To volunteer at some real company or something :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk
I see several of people saying they're volunteering, that's not a job is it? A job is when you get paid!

Movie theater (IMAX!) jobs are good and fun for sixteen year-olds.

Mk said:
I see several of people saying they're volunteering, that's not a job is it? A job is when you get paid!

Movie theater (IMAX!) jobs are good and fun for sixteen year-olds.
The main point of this thread was to find out if there were jobs other than those types of jobs :redface:

JamesU
Gold Member
moose said:
I'm thinking of volunteering at the challenger space center which is about 100 yards from my highschool. Underlined in this picture.
http://www.1337moose.com/space/sunrise.jpg [Broken]

Bassically, I would be a tour guide or something like that. I want something else to try first though. To volunteer at some real company or something :/
Which high school is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
Which high school is that?
Sunrise Mountain Highschool....What school are you going to and what is your general area of residence

JamesU
Gold Member
I live by hayden and indian bend, but I go to school in arcadia. (ingleside Middle School)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
moose said:
Uhhhhhh I really don't think they'll let you be a tour guide at 16. And companies don't allow people to volunteer really. You have internships however...

ek
moose said:
Well see, there is this thing called money, which seems to be a pretty popular item among folks. It would probably be beneficial to obtain some of this "money" and use it for whatever it is used for.
I have plenty of money. All of it through online poker. Made $2500 alone in the past two weeks. Puts me well over 10k for the year, averaging about 6 or 7 hours a week of playing time. So money is not the issue. I'll just eventually have to get a job to get something on my resume. "Poker Player" does not look good on a resume I imagine.

My hope is that next summer I can get a job at the DAO (Dominion Astrophysical Observatory) here in Victoria. Now that is a job that would be worth my time. Even if it was just giving tours or something that would be great.

A friend of mine started his own business in HS. He hired other teenagers to paint houses. He supervised, estimated the jobs, ordered paint, made the contacts, bought the ladders and brushes. Last I heard he owned several funeral homes and ran a business selling modular homes. His first car was a used Mercedes.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Artman said:
A friend of mine ............
(blah blah blah)
....................... His first car was a used Mercedes.
Hah, loser !

Gokul43201 said:
Hah, loser !
:biggrin: I debated adding that word. Even used, it was worth more than my first 3 cars combined. :yuck:

Pengwuino said:
Uhhhhhh I really don't think they'll let you be a tour guide at 16. And companies don't allow people to volunteer really. You have internships however...
My sister was a tour guide there at 16. Some of my friends were too.... They bassically run on vonlunteers since its right next to my school...