Exploring EE Career Paths: Bachelors vs. Masters Degree

In summary: This largely depends upon what sort of Electrical Engineering endeavor one goes in to. A dual major in physics and EE might be a real asset for those designing bleeding edge devices such as low noise instrumentation amplifiers, high dynamic range radio receivers, or even analysis of synchrophasor data from the grid. An MSEE is useful when working on projects with devices such with new modulation and demodulation techniques for a next generation of cellular data service on millimeter wave bands, a new instrument for measuring flow more accurately in an industrial environment, or a better phased array radar system for a ship.
jaydnul
I am getting my bachelors in physics next semester but figured out I want to do EE as a career. I could finish a BSEE in two extra semesters, or go straight to MSEE in about 6 semesters.

My question is how many EE jobs actually require a masters degree? Do most just require a bachelors? Have you ever been rejected because you don't have a masters?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EE is a huge field with lots of job paths. What specifically do you enjoy about EE? Do you have any job ideas?

I enjoy circuit design but really just love EE as a whole, nothing too specific in mind yet. That's why I'm being cautious, I don't want to not be able to do something in the future.

The extra two semesters to get a BS in EE would be fine to get into electrical engineering. I suspect that once on board, your physics background would give you an advantage over many of your fellow EE's as you might have a better theoretical background.

You might actually hurt yourself in private industry with a masters in EE. Why? Because you'd be over qualified (without the experience) for all the jobs you could get and lack the experience for the jobs you'd be qualified for. So, getting the BS is GOOD!, getting the MS in EE may not be so good (well at least without gaining some real world experience).

CalcNerd, I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it hurts, but you do make a good point. An MSEE may not pay for itself right away.

This largely depends upon what sort of Electrical Engineering endeavor one goes in to. A dual major in physics and EE might be a real asset for those designing bleeding edge devices such as low noise instrumentation amplifiers, high dynamic range radio receivers, or even analysis of synchrophasor data from the grid. An MSEE is useful when working on projects with devices such with new modulation and demodulation techniques for a next generation of cellular data service on millimeter wave bands, a new instrument for measuring flow more accurately in an industrial environment, or a better phased array radar system for a ship.

Yes, someone with a BSEE with experience is almost indistinguishable in practice from someone who has the MSEE. There is one major difference though: Recruiters and HR staff would prefer the MSEE candidate because they can verify that degree a lot easier than they can verify the experience. But like I said, right out of college, you may not see a whole lot of difference in your salary. You need to play your cards well and that will happen later.

CalcNerd said:
You might actually hurt yourself in private industry with a masters in EE. Why? Because you'd be over qualified (without the experience) for all the jobs you could get and lack the experience for the jobs you'd be qualified for.

The OP indicated an interest in circuit design. At least in the semiconductor industry to be a circuit designer the minimum practical degree is the MS. To do supporting works (applications, product engineering, etc) a BS is fine.

What is the difference between a bachelor's and a master's degree in an EE career?

A bachelor's degree in electrical engineering typically takes four years to complete and provides a broad foundation in the field. On the other hand, a master's degree in EE usually takes two additional years and offers a more specialized and in-depth knowledge in a specific area of EE.

Which degree is more beneficial for an EE career?

Both degrees can be beneficial for an EE career, but it ultimately depends on your career goals. A bachelor's degree can provide a strong foundation for entry-level positions, while a master's degree can lead to higher-paying and more advanced positions in the field.

Can I pursue a master's degree in EE if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, you can pursue a master's degree in EE even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may need to take prerequisite courses to catch up on the foundational knowledge in EE before starting the program.

What are the job prospects for graduates with a bachelor's vs. a master's degree in EE?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of job opportunities in the field of EE. Graduates with a bachelor's degree may start in entry-level positions such as electrical engineer, while those with a master's degree may have more opportunities for higher-level positions such as research and development engineer or project manager.

Is it worth pursuing a master's degree in EE if I already have a bachelor's degree in the same field?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Pursuing a master's degree can provide you with more specialized knowledge and may increase your earning potential. It can also open up opportunities for career advancement and leadership positions in the field. However, it is important to consider the time and financial commitment required for a master's degree program.