1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs for EEs

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    I am getting my bachelors in physics next semester but figured out I want to do EE as a career. I could finish a BSEE in two extra semesters, or go straight to MSEE in about 6 semesters.

My question is how many EE jobs actually require a masters degree? Do most just require a bachelors? Have you ever been rejected because you dont have a masters?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2
    EE is a huge field with lots of job paths. What specifically do you enjoy about EE? Do you have any job ideas?

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    I enjoy circuit design but really just love EE as a whole, nothing too specific in mind yet. That's why I'm being cautious, I don't want to not be able to do something in the future.

5. Mar 12, 2015 #4

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The extra two semesters to get a BS in EE would be fine to get into electrical engineering. I suspect that once on board, your physics background would give you an advantage over many of your fellow EE's as you might have a better theoretical background.

You might actually hurt yourself in private industry with a masters in EE. Why? Because you'd be over qualified (without the experience) for all the jobs you could get and lack the experience for the jobs you'd be qualified for. So, getting the BS is GOOD!, getting the MS in EE may not be so good (well at least without gaining some real world experience).

6. Mar 12, 2015 #5
    CalcNerd, I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it hurts, but you do make a good point. An MSEE may not pay for itself right away.

This largely depends upon what sort of Electrical Engineering endeavor one goes in to. A dual major in physics and EE might be a real asset for those designing bleeding edge devices such as low noise instrumentation amplifiers, high dynamic range radio receivers, or even analysis of synchrophasor data from the grid. An MSEE is useful when working on projects with devices such with new modulation and demodulation techniques for a next generation of cellular data service on millimeter wave bands, a new instrument for measuring flow more accurately in an industrial environment, or a better phased array radar system for a ship.

Yes, someone with a BSEE with experience is almost indistinguishable in practice from someone who has the MSEE. There is one major difference though: Recruiters and HR staff would prefer the MSEE candidate because they can verify that degree a lot easier than they can verify the experience. But like I said, right out of college, you may not see a whole lot of difference in your salary. You need to play your cards well and that will happen later.

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6

analogdesign

Science Advisor

The OP indicated an interest in circuit design. At least in the semiconductor industry to be a circuit designer the minimum practical degree is the MS. To do supporting works (applications, product engineering, etc) a BS is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook