1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs for fresh physics bs

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1
    I just got my BS in Physics from Arizona State University (transferred from UC Irvine in CA after decided I didn't want to pursue biology major there and came back to AZ to live with family and work and pursue physics because I like it)

I graduated yesterday and have a fire burning inside me to find a job in industry, finance, anything! I want to work and make money ASAP, I have no desire for a PHD in physics and am considering applying for the Masters in Nanoscience (1 year accelerated program at ASU) for the fall of next year.

In the meantime, this summer, I am looking for a job. I love technology and keep hearing about physics majors working in the semiconductor industry and finance. Although helpful, I have not heard specifics of job descriptions. I was hoping anyone could provide insight or job hunt tips for me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2
    I think it would be tough to sell yourself for a position like that when you are only available to work for a few months over the summer. Or is it the Fall of 2015 that you hope to start your MS? Even one year of availability is not very long for a company to invest in you then make profit off of you. You may have to hide your intentions...

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3
    The majority of the physics majors working in these areas have a PHD.

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

What exactly would you do in the semiconductor industry? If I were to hire you today, what value could you add to my group? How would I justify your salary to my supervisor?

One job hunt tip is not to mention you are thinking of leaving in a year to go back to grad school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook