High-Paying Independent Jobs for Math PhDs: Unleash Your Potential!

• Math
  • Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, any?Not part of an organization? It seems that this person, Julian Barbour, was a physicist who got a doctorate and then freelanced as a translator of Russian physics papers. He is famous for his books about mathematics and popular science. He seems to like his privacy and doesn't seem to have given much information about himself online.
tgt
...that does not involve working as part of an orgainsation.

Any?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not part of an organization? You want to start your own "free-lance" mathematics business? I can imagine a being a consultant to various kinds of industries but I can't see that bringing in much money. In fact, that is the kind of thing University professors do in their "spare" time to make a little more money- but it's nice to have that day job!

This and browsing physicsforums ofcours, halls. (-:

HallsofIvy said:
Not part of an organization? You want to start your own "free-lance" mathematics business? I can imagine a being a consultant to various kinds of industries but I can't see that bringing in much money. In fact, that is the kind of thing University professors do in their "spare" time to make a little more money- but it's nice to have that day job!

Why can't it bring in much money?

It doesn't have to be very commercial. For example, how about editing textbook?

Julian Barbour translated Russian physics papers freelance and made enough to keep a large family and a farmhouse, and was left with enough time to do the physics he wanted to do rather than what some grant committee forced him to do.

Freelance editing may work, check out the elance website to see what's on offer. Other ideas - freelance tutoring, start up a website and get Google AdSense advertising revenue, write popular books (like Fermat's Last Theorem -- look how well that sold!) Try reading Peter Martin's biography of Samuel Johnson for inspiration!

tgt said:
For example, how about editing textbook?

I doubt you can earn enough to live on by editing textbooks: there aren't that many that need editors. Besides, generally these jobs get given to professors that are active in the field!

mal4mac said:
Julian Barbour translated Russian physics papers freelance and made enough to keep a large family and a farmhouse, and was left with enough time to do the physics he wanted to do rather than what some grant committee forced him to do.

Freelance editing may work, check out the elance website to see what's on offer. Other ideas - freelance tutoring, start up a website and get Google AdSense advertising revenue, write popular books (like Fermat's Last Theorem -- look how well that sold!) Try reading Peter Martin's biography of Samuel Johnson for inspiration!

Wouldn't you need some credentials like professor to write successful popular science or maths books?

tgt said:
Wouldn't you need some credentials like professor to write successful popular science or maths books?

He did have a doctorate in Physics.

Does anyone have a biography of this guy? He seems pretty famous, having been featured in a few documentaries and being a best-selling author. Couldn't find anything about him on Wikipedia or Google. I only managed to find this, which didn't say much:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/bios/barbour.html

Defennder said:
Does anyone have a biography of this guy? He seems pretty famous, having been featured in a few documentaries and being a best-selling author. Couldn't find anything about him on Wikipedia or Google. I only managed to find this, which didn't say much:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/bios/barbour.html

Nothing on Wikipedia or Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Barbour
http://www.google.com/search?q=julian+barbour

Do any of those links tell you about where he was born, his early education and life up till his PhD and other biographical details such as working history? It seems all I can find is that he got in PhD in physics in 1968 and of course a summary of his ideas. Nothing else.

Try his book. I tried reading it but in all honesty, it really bored me to tears and I usually like popular science books.

I read it before but as you said I was kind of half put off by the book. But what I read so far doesn't tell me much about his biography.

Defennder said:
Do any of those links tell you about where he was born, his early education and life up till his PhD and other biographical details such as working history? It seems all I can find is that he got in PhD in physics in 1968 and of course a summary of his ideas. Nothing else.

I guess the man likes his privacy, could you blame him?

Well yeah probably. So I was just wondering how he ever come to make a living being an isolated academic.

Well if I'm not mistaken you know already that he made a living as translator of russian texts.

And I guess the contacts he made in his PHD studies, he kept being in contact with them.

I don't think that it's so unheard to receive a phd and continue not in academia, but as a freelancer.
I think it's more uncommon to hear someone who didn't even graduate with a phd who has a decent idependent research.

1. What types of high-paying independent jobs are available for Math PhDs?

There are a variety of high-paying independent jobs available for Math PhDs, including data scientists, quantitative analysts, risk analysts, financial consultants, and statistical consultants. These jobs often involve using advanced mathematical and analytical skills to solve complex problems.

2. How can I prepare for a high-paying independent job as a Math PhD?

To prepare for a high-paying independent job as a Math PhD, it is important to continue developing your mathematical and analytical skills through research, coursework, and independent study. You should also gain experience in relevant programming languages and software, as well as develop strong communication and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an independent job as a Math PhD?

Independent jobs for Math PhDs offer a variety of benefits, including the ability to work on challenging and interesting projects, flexible work hours, and the potential for high salaries and bonuses. Additionally, these jobs often allow for more autonomy and control over your work compared to traditional academic positions.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to pursuing an independent job as a Math PhD?

One potential challenge of pursuing an independent job as a Math PhD is the competitive job market, as these jobs tend to be highly sought after. Additionally, the nature of independent work may require a high level of self-motivation and discipline. It is also important to carefully consider the financial stability and benefits offered by these types of jobs compared to traditional academic positions.

5. How can I find high-paying independent jobs as a Math PhD?

There are a variety of ways to find high-paying independent jobs as a Math PhD, including networking with professionals in your field, attending job fairs and conferences, and utilizing online job search engines and career websites. It is also helpful to reach out to companies and organizations directly to inquire about potential job opportunities. Additionally, keeping your resume, CV, and portfolio up-to-date can help make you stand out to potential employers.