1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs for Nuclear Majors

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    Hello, I am very interested in majoring in nuclear engineering. I not sure which jobs stand out to me but I've been attracted to most of the job descriptions I've looked at. The only things is from what I gather the hours are not good. Are there generally some jobs in the field with solid hours? Also, if you are/know someone in nuclear engineering how do you like it? Tell me a bit about what you do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3
    In jobs where the facility needs to be staffed 24/7, at least 25% of the jobs are the decent shifts.

Of course, there are other jobs too with decent working hours with that degree.

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

What's the difference between nuclear physicist and nuclear engineer?

And can't an experimentalist in this field also be a theorist?

I mean every experimentalist should know the theory like the theorist, while the theorist doesn't need to know how to deal with experiment apparatus.

6. Nov 4, 2016 #5
    In most cases nuclear physicists are investigating new laws of nuclear physics. Whereas, nuclear engineers are using known operational principles of nuclear power plants to design and safely operate them.

While experimentalists can also be theorists, one must pay sufficient attention to what one is being paid to do and the expectations of the employer. It can be challenging to satisfy the demands of the employer with enough time left over to pursue alternate interests. Very few employers pay folks to be both experimentalists and theorists.

7. Nov 4, 2016 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well if we take anecdotes, Einstein was paid to be a patent clerk, and still found the time to write his papers and phd.

Yeah I know different workload.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted