What Types of Jobs for Physicists are Available at NASA?

In summary, the conversation discusses the job prospects for physicists at NASA, specifically in the field of satellite communications. The individual is a B.Sc. Physics student and is seeking advice on improving their chances of working at NASA. It is mentioned that most jobs in this area would require engineering skills, and it is also noted that NASA only hires US citizens due to it being a government agency.
Amith2006
Sir,
I am a B.Sc.Physics 3rd year student. I am a bright student and it is my long cherished dream to work in NASA. Could you please tell me about the jobs prospects for physicists there? Are all the jobs in NASA for engineers? If not, a specialization in which branch of physics will improve my chances of finding a place there? I am particularly interested in satellite communications. I kindly request you to help me in building my career. Your advice will be taken in the right spirit.

With Regards
Amitabh

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like most jobs in the area of satellite communications would be in the realm of engineering.

Any jobs at NASA for mathematicians?

http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/ [Broken]

Are there any restrictions as to having to be a US citizen though?

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know, you can only get into the USA legally if you have a green card or a visa. In this case it would be given if you had a contract of employment. However getting a contract of employment is hampered by the fact that employers are obliged to give preference to US citizens. I think this preference goes as far as if someone else that is a US citizen is qualified enough to do the job, even though they may not be as qualified as you, employers have to give it to the US citizen, which sucks badly. I may be wrong tho.. please correct me if I am.

Last edited:
In the UK tho', you can't work for any MoD-type place if not British - does NASA come under the US military at all?

Q. Does NASA hire foreign nationals?
A. Because NASA is an agency of the government of the United States of America, employment with NASA is restricted to citizens of the United States of America. Also, although NASA does contract with private industry for services, generally these contracts are with major companies as opposed to individuals.

That's from there website. Most of the jobs with NASA and defence contractors are only open to US citizens.

That's what I thought but couldn't see it anywhere on their site... :confused:

1. What types of jobs are available for physicists at NASA?

There are a variety of job opportunities for physicists at NASA, including research positions, engineering roles, and data analysis positions. Physicists can also work in areas such as astrophysics, planetary science, and space technology development.

2. What qualifications do I need to work as a physicist at NASA?

Typically, a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required to work as a physicist at NASA. Many positions may also require a Master's or PhD degree, as well as specialized skills and knowledge in a particular area of physics.

3. Are there any internship or co-op opportunities for physics students at NASA?

Yes, NASA offers a variety of internship and co-op opportunities for students studying physics. These programs provide hands-on experience working on real-world projects and can be a great way to gain experience and network within the field.

4. What is the salary range for physicists at NASA?

The salary range for physicists at NASA varies depending on the specific job title, level of experience, and location. However, according to Glassdoor, the average salary for a physicist at NASA is around $110,000 per year.

5. How can I apply for a job as a physicist at NASA?

NASA posts all of its job openings on the USAJobs website. You can search for current job openings and apply directly through the website. Make sure to carefully review the job requirements and submit all necessary documents and materials to be considered for the position.