Jobs for those with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics

In summary, with a masters or PhD in applied mathematics, there are various job options available in fields such as software development, technical writing, engineering, finance, business consulting, medical imaging, statistics/analytics, actuarial analysis, and academia. Additionally, an undergraduate degree in applied math can also lead to opportunities in other fields, such as physics, engineering, computer science, statistics, operations research, and professional programs.
Skrew
What are my job options if I got a masters or PhD in applied mathematics?

I have no interest in teaching.

Physics news on Phys.org
Skrew said:
What are my job options if I got a masters or PhD in applied mathematics?

I have no interest in teaching.

Hey Skrew.

Did you have a particular field or concentration in mind or is this a general question for any applied mathematics PhD?

To the OP,

Applied mathematics is a diverse field with many areas of specialization, so it would help to know what your precise interests are.

That being said, there are many job options out there for those with graduate degrees in applied mathematics. Among the people I know with applied math Msc/PhD's include those working in software development, technical writing, engineering, finance, business consulting, medical imaging, statistics/analytics, actuarial analysis, and academia.

It's also worth pointing out that an undergraduate degree in applied math also gives excellent preparation to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, statistics or operations research, and is often looked upon highly when applying to professional programs (medical school, law school, MBA program).

Last edited:

1. What career options are available for those with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics?

Graduates with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics have a wide range of career options, including data analyst, financial analyst, risk analyst, operations research analyst, actuary, and statistician. They can also work in industries such as finance, insurance, technology, and government.

2. What skills do I need to have for jobs in Applied Mathematics?

In addition to strong mathematical and analytical skills, jobs in Applied Mathematics also require proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other professionals.

3. How important is work experience in securing a job with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics?

Work experience is highly valued in the job market for those with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics. Employers often prefer candidates with prior experience, whether through internships, research projects, or previous jobs. It demonstrates practical application of skills and knowledge in a professional setting.

4. Is a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics required for all jobs in this field?

No, a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics is not always required for all jobs in this field. Some positions may only require a bachelor's degree, while others may have alternative education requirements such as a degree in a related field or a certain number of relevant work experience. However, having a graduate degree can open up more advanced and higher-paying job opportunities.

5. What is the job outlook for those with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics?

The job outlook for those with a masters/phd in Applied Mathematics is very positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field of mathematics is projected to grow 33% from 2020-2030, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing use of mathematical and statistical techniques in various industries, such as data science and financial analysis.