Employment Prospects for New PhD Graduates in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of individuals who graduated with a PhD in the sciences in 2013 finding employment immediately upon graduation or after one postdoc, as well as the probability of them not finding employment or only finding employment outside of their field of expertise for 1-2 years. The conversation also touches on the importance of networking and taking initiative in the job search process for individuals in the sciences. Three datapoints are mentioned, all of which involve PhDs working outside of academia in various fields.
D H said:
Bayesian inference. Burnt once, shame on you. Burnt twice, shame on me. Burnt a bunch of times and its not surprising that employers develop a Bayesian prior against certain types of PhDs -- even with companies that hires lots of PhDs. PhDs are not a protected class. Employers can discriminate against them with no repercussions.

Ha! This is the best description of anti-Ph.D. employer bias I've read! May I steal it?

I've been known to clear a room with my applications of ANOVA to everyday situations.

Physics news on Phys.org
kinkmode said:
I know you are trying to help analogdesign, I appreciate it. Also note that most of what I write here is to vent/get the word out to younger people. It is NOT how I conduct myself in an interview. That would be silly. 'Young and stupid,' while partially true, was more of a facetious answer. The reality is that I had different priorities as a 22 year old than I do in my mid 30's, and my career goals have changed. Not only that, but the market has changed too. In 1997 when I started majoring in physics, a degree like that could get you a lot of jobs. Nowadays, not so much.

For the record, from my limited experience, most people conduct horrible interviews. Also in my limited experience, that's almost a moot point. Interviews don't happen. You never get a chance to present your case to the hiring manager because you don't get called in. Their perceived reality as you addressed is sometimes so strong you can't overcome it. Which is why I made my two off hand comments earlier ('industry thinks you are only capable of flipping burgers' and 'being judged by a different standard'). They either:

1. Downplay/don't understand your expertise and capabilities and how there might be the potential for you to be useful. They do this so much that you don't even really get a chance to pitch your story.
2. Think you are taking such a massive pay cut or step down in prestige that this job is beneath you that they don't consider you as a serious applicant. Never mind that you need to pay the bills too, and no, that postdoc didn't pay 6 figures.

Directly applying is a complete waste of time, and networking has been less than productive for me. I average about 1 informational interview a week, but they mostly end the same way:

1. 'Have you thought about teaching?'
2. 'Have you thought about moving somewhere else?' (I can't)
3. 'Have you thought about going back to school?'
4. 'Networking is the key. Get on LinkedIn.' - Yes I agree. Why do you think I initiated contact with you in the first place? (flippant response, not actually verbalized)
5. 'We might actually have some opportunities for you here!' At this point, I never hear from them again, or they get let go literally the next day.
6. List of new references to contact. Wash, rinse, repeat.

What are you doing to even get informational meetings? Are you just asking through linked-in? How you push for it, and under what context?

analogdesign said:
Ha! This is the best description of anti-Ph.D. employer bias I've read! May I steal it?
Feel free! Once you fix the embarrassing grammatical errors, of course.

I've been known to clear a room with my applications of ANOVA to everyday situations.
Hmmm. I've been known to get a room in stitches with one of my applications of Bayesian reasoning. It all depends on the telling.

Last edited:
D H said:
Bayesian inference. Burnt once, shame on you. Burnt twice, shame on me. Burnt a bunch of times and its not surprising that employers develop a Bayesian prior against certain types of PhDs

You mentioned flipping burgers a whole ago. These are the technical equivalent of a burger flippin' job. Why do you want those jobs? Yech.

I wouldn't want one of those technical burger flippin' jobs, and neither should you.

Haha, yes exactly. Like I said prior, being held to different standards because I don't want a 7 year gap on my resume. And yes, you are right, I don't want those jobs. Unfortunately from the outside, it can be hard to tell which jobs those are. Particularly when you've been out of work for a while.

AccAcc - RE information interviews. Mostly cold emails/linkedin messages. A number have come from friends of the family, but they have been less useful. Mostly because the advice from said interviews is way too vague and rehashes already covered ground (go back to school, be a teacher, get on linked in, etc.).

Pick a company that you think might be a good fit. Research the hell out of it online and try to find people who are doing the job you want (or supervising the people doing the job you want) and send them a message. As I'm targeting companies that have PhDs doing some kind of work already, I usually phrase the message as someone asking for advice on how to make the research -> industry transition. Most of these people have been happy to meet with me. One led to an actual interview even though I just wanted some info. The few times I actually found someone from my field (plasma physics), I also used appropriate wording to highlight that connection, i.e. 'advice for a fellow plasma physicist.'

Reaching out through my alumni network has not been particularly useful. Maybe if I was in a different area of the country. Also, my previous professional network from research has been virtually useless; there are very few ties to industry there. If you come from a field that has industry contacts, that would be my first place to try.

Well, a (legitimate, non-scam) recruiter that I applied to just got back to me, but my defense four months from now is "too early" for the positions they are in contact with. So... I guess that is a sign that I'm more on top of things than I thought. Still, having a non-postdoc job lined up for Day 0 after graduating seems logistically difficult.

D H said:
One trick that almost always works: Talk about your newborn baby.

Sans that baby, be honest. Let the employer know that you don't want to go down the lowly paid postdoc, postdoc, ... postdoc route, only to be denied tenure in another decade or so. Show them that you know what they do, that you are truly interested in that work, and that you have something special to offer.

This might work with a company familiar with the physics job market, this would be a really bad idea in an insurance/data-mining/programming type position. The default belief (unfortunately) is that there are STEM jobs all over the place and that you can (and will) step into a professorship as soon as one opens up nearby. Trying to explain the reality in a short time will just leave you sounding very negative.

Your best bet is to talk about why you want to branch into new opportunities, and that job X is a natural extension of thing Y you did while you were in physics,etc. The goal here is to convince them you are moving on, and wouldn't take that position even if it fell in your lap.

There are lots of companies that are "PhD-happy" employers. They like their PhDs. They like their pie charts that show the levels of education of their employees, with PhDs occupying a nice, hefty slice of that pie.

Unfortunately, in my experience even phd-heavy engineering firms won't hire a physics phd unless they have directly relevant skills from their phd. This is great (for instance) if you are a condensed matter phd applying at intel. If you did particle physics, they probably won't even interview you.

Last edited:
ParticleGrl groks my situation.

AccAcc said:
Well, a (legitimate, non-scam) recruiter that I applied to just got back to me, but my defense four months from now is "too early" for the positions they are in contact with. So... I guess that is a sign that I'm more on top of things than I thought. Still, having a non-postdoc job lined up for Day 0 after graduating seems logistically difficult.

Have you indicated that you aren't interested in starting work until you do your defense? I was in a job for almost a year before I did my defense (I was finishing up a paper and my dissertation after hours). I took the day off of work and flew back to the city where my University was for the day to do my defense.

ParticleGrl said:
T
Unfortunately, in my experience even phd-heavy engineering firms won't hire a physics phd unless they have directly relevant skills from their phd. This is great (for instance) if you are a condensed matter phd applying at intel. If you did particle physics, they probably won't even interview you.

Very true. All most physicists seemingly have to offer to engineering firms is advanced software skills. It's hard to get hiring managers to understand that a HEP Ph.D. is pretty much about learning to get things done and solve hard problems.

analogdesign said:
Have you indicated that you aren't interested in starting work until you do your defense? I was in a job for almost a year before I did my defense (I was finishing up a paper and my dissertation after hours). I took the day off of work and flew back to the city where my University was for the day to do my defense.

I don't think that really applies to my situation as it stands. I have funding until the end of January, a 14 page draft of a paper that we are getting ready to submit, and around 160+ pages of dissertation that I'm in the process of editing. I don't really know what the grant issues are if my tuition for the semester has already been paid for but I end up leaving early. I could start in December. I'm still mired in too much experimental crap on the side from my main research topics that I don't think I could get around leaving any earlier than that.

analogdesign said:
Very true. All most physicists seemingly have to offer to engineering firms is advanced software skills. It's hard to get hiring managers to understand that a HEP Ph.D. is pretty much about learning to get things done and solve hard problems.

And frustrating for the potential applicant. I never thought that doing a physics phd could close so many doors at engineering firms, but this is the crazy world we live in. I had to move away from science/engineering (despite that being where almost all of my skillset was) to find work- luckily insurance and big data companies are currently starving for people, so they are way more willing to let you learn on the job.

My general job hunting advice is to find an area that has an actual shortage, and figure out a way to sell yourself into it.

ParticleGrl said:
And frustrating for the potential applicant. I never thought that doing a physics phd could close so many doors at engineering firms, but this is the crazy world we live in.

I'm sure it's amazingly frustrating. I hope engineering firms wake up to this pool of highly capable candidates.

analogdesign said:
I'm sure it's amazingly frustrating. I hope engineering firms wake up to this pool of highly capable candidates.

The problem as I see it is that there are enought engineeres in most areas of engineering. It's not that they dislike physicists, they just don't want to hire a physicist (or a novice engeneer) and spend time and money on training when they have experienced engineers applying for entry-level positions. Sure, it's not the case in every engeneering subfield, but as a physicist you only have a chance in the areas where there is such labour shortage, that they will be willing to retrain you at their own expense.

Last edited:
AccAcc: Are you looking at Chicago prop firms? Also, what goes on in 80% of the firms is actually pretty stupid. Assuming you're not going to start off at Rentec or Getco, if I was in your position, I'd try starting somewhere like Jump, IMC or Goldman, where the learning environment is conducive and not worry too much about compensation. (But the last part is just me.) I've also seen people move from advanced degrees to the CME or BBG and eventually one of the above. Alternatively, you were talking about data-related roles... There are some exciting startups that didn't raise some ridiculous venture round that will require some even more ridiculous round for your employee options to expire as anything valuable, e.g. Celoxica (not sure if they need PhDs, but I personally think I always rather have someone with a PhD even if it's for the job of cooking an egg).

Likes 1 person
Corpuscule said:
The problem as I see it is that there are enought engineeres in most areas of engineering. It's not that they dislike physicists, they just don't want to hire a physicist (or a novice engeneer) and spend time and money on training when they have experienced engineers applying for entry-level positions. Sure, it's not the case in every engeneering subfield, but as a physicist you only have a chance in the areas where there is such labour shortage, that they will be willing to retrain you at their own expense.

bingo. As an EE PhD, I know that the exact specialization of your grad work really matters for PhD level positions. I was once flown out to a company for an interview, and found that only their computational electromagnetics group was interviewing me. With minimal coursework and no research background in that exact specialization (I was in plasma physics) they were not interested at all - the manager all but told me that to my face after she perused my resume in front of me.

Areas where there are shortages are good, as are areas where almost no-one has the perfect specialization coming out of school. I think that is why defense contractors are often open to math/physics types - they need 400 people to work a program and no one did their PhD in missile defense.

jason

jasonRF said:
bingo. As an EE PhD, I know that the exact specialization of your grad work really matters for PhD level positions. I was once flown out to a company for an interview, and found that only their computational electromagnetics group was interviewing me. With minimal coursework and no research background in that exact specialization (I was in plasma physics) they were not interested at all - the manager all but told me that to my face after she perused my resume in front of me.

This is the kind of stuff I was referring to earlier when it comes to interviews. Wouldn't everyone have been served better by NOT flying you out there first? Couldn't they have accomplished the same thing by looking at your resume first, and maybe picking up the phone?

This also aligns with my experiences. I'm also from plasma physics. For the most part, companies don't seem to have a need for anyone from that specialty. Material scientists? Yes. Know how to use a SEM/TEM? Yes. Know how to do something that might be useful to them, but takes more than a sentence or two to explain? Not so much.

kinkmode said:
This is the kind of stuff I was referring to earlier when it comes to interviews. Wouldn't everyone have been served better by NOT flying you out there first? Couldn't they have accomplished the same thing by looking at your resume first, and maybe picking up the phone?

This also aligns with my experiences. I'm also from plasma physics. For the most part, companies don't seem to have a need for anyone from that specialty. Material scientists? Yes. Know how to use a SEM/TEM? Yes. Know how to do something that might be useful to them, but takes more than a sentence or two to explain? Not so much.

Sure. I was eventually hired (by a physicist!) to become a radar systems engineer. She wanted someone who could understand enough about the hardware, signal processing, physics and phenomenology to be able to make sure all the pieces of our projects worked together in a way that really made sense. It is the kind of thing most PhDs are not really prepared for so employers expect some amount of training will be required, and the kind of thing it takes at least a few years to become reasonably competent at. Those kinds of jobs are where physicists are more likely to get serious consideration, especially experimentalists.

jason

Jason hits on a good point. Defense contractors (and National labs) typically have very large, complex, interdisciplinary projects where no one is a "perfect fit". So they, by necessity, are open to more general people who have demonstrated they have what it takes to learn a new area and get things done. That sounds like you, kinkmode... maybe you can look at the defense industry?

analogdesign said:
Jason hits on a good point. Defense contractors (and National labs) typically have very large, complex, interdisciplinary projects where no one is a "perfect fit". So they, by necessity, are open to more general people who have demonstrated they have what it takes to learn a new area and get things done. That sounds like you, kinkmode... maybe you can look at the defense industry?

See the PM I sent you yesterday for my specifics.

Defense industry is a possibility, but for the fact that due to non-career related circumstances, I'm geographically limited in my search. I realize this seriously interferes with my ability to get a job. Such is life.

I just find it depressing that my background limits my opportunities so much when limited to a metropolitan area of only 3.5 million people.