Engineering Jobs: Explore Potential Careers & Job Opportunities

In summary, the speaker is considering switching into an engineering college, but is unsure about the job opportunities in electrical engineering and physics engineering. They are worried about job competition and are seeking information about potential jobs in these fields. They are also curious about the difference between a physics major in the college of engineering and the college of liberal arts and sciences, and whether a physics major is limited to only teaching.
IKu
i'm thinking about switching into the an engineering college, but I'm not sure what kind of jobs you can get with this. right now I'm an undeclared major and i want to switch into electrical engineering, but I'm afraid there will be too much job competition and i won't be able to find work, or i want to go into physics engineering, but i don't know what jobs i can get with this. can anyone tell me if I'm being overly cautious about job opportunity in electrical engineering or what kind of jobs physics majors get?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm what you might call a "sanitation engineer." A plain old G.E.D. ought to get you going on that career path, should you wish to follow in my footsteps. :rolleyes:

I always presumed a physics major was headed toward a teaching career, but maybe that is too narrow of a view. You use the term "physics engineering," and I admit I have never heard of that before.

Last edited:
Janitor said:
I always presumed a physics major was headed toward a teaching career, but maybe that is too narrow of a view. You use the term "physics engineering," and I admit I have never heard of that before.

yea, i always figured physics majors just taught physics or something. what i meant by physics engineering is a physics major in the college of engineering, rather than a physics major in the college of liberal arts and sciences.

1. What are the different types of engineering jobs available?

There are many different types of engineering jobs, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of expertise, and the job responsibilities and required skills may vary.

2. What education and training is required for engineering jobs?

Most engineering jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree or specialized certifications. It is important to research the specific requirements for the type of engineering job you are interested in.

3. What skills are necessary for engineering jobs?

Engineering jobs require a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and creativity. Some common skills needed for engineering jobs include strong math and science skills, attention to detail, communication skills, and the ability to work in a team.

4. What are the job prospects and earning potential for engineering jobs?

The job outlook for engineering jobs is generally positive, with many industries in need of skilled engineers. The earning potential can vary depending on the type of engineering job and the level of experience, but it is typically above average compared to other professions.

5. Are there opportunities for career advancement in engineering jobs?

Yes, there are many opportunities for career advancement in engineering jobs. With experience and additional education or certifications, engineers can move into more senior or specialized roles, such as project manager or engineering consultant. Some engineers also choose to pursue teaching or research positions in academia.