Joe Frazier, Boxing Legend, Passes Away

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the recent passing of boxer Joe Frazier and the impact he had on the sport, as well as his rivalry and admiration with Muhammad Ali. Many expressed their condolences and appreciation for Frazier's talent and character. Photos from his funeral were also shared. The first fight between Ali and Frazier was remembered as a classic and significant event, with political and racial undertones. Overall, Frazier was respected and will be missed in the boxing community.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know PF doesn't have a lot of boxing fans :wink:. But Frazier was the first guy to beat Ali - and Ali is one of his biggest admirers! I, for one, appreciate boxing talent - and this guy was one of the best.

RIP, Smokin' Joe!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45201210/ns/sports-other_sports/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for your loss. I know hubby will be sad to hear this.
Truly great at what he did.
The loss of any master is sad. Rest in peace Joe Frazier. A great athlete.

RIP Joe. Thanks for your ring time.

lisab said:
But Frazier was the first guy to beat Ali - and Ali is one of his biggest admirers!
He is certainly made his mark on pugilistics. RIP Joe!

With respect to Joe, Ali said, "He's the great fighter of all time, next to me.
Also speaking of Ali, Joe made a good nemesis for him..
I think Joe caught Ali a little off his game, in their first fight.
As I recall, Ali beat Frazier in both their rematch and rubber match bouts.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly a fan of boxing, but I've always admired Joe Frazier for his goodness and decency.

Rest in peace and rock on, Smokin' Joe!

Being a boxing and martial arts fan, I had to post these pictures from today funeral.

article-2061465-0ECCA7C200000578-615_634x422.jpg

Muhammad Ali

article-2061465-0ECCA6C400000578-816_634x614.jpg

Larry Holmes

And there's more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reats-arrive-private-funeral-Smokin-Joe.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Ali-Frazier fight was a classic, with a lot of political and racial overtones. I recall driving 50 miles to Roanoke, Va as a college student to watch it as a pay-per-view event. I had great respect for both men. Rest in peace, Joe.

1. Who was Joe Frazier and why is he considered a boxing legend?

Joe Frazier was an American professional boxer who competed from 1965 to 1981. He is considered a boxing legend because he was the undisputed heavyweight champion from 1970 to 1973, and is known for his rivalry with Muhammad Ali, culminating in the famous "Thrilla in Manila" fight in 1975.

2. What are some of Joe Frazier's notable achievements in boxing?

Joe Frazier's notable achievements in boxing include winning a gold medal in the 1964 Olympics, becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion in 1970, and defending his title successfully multiple times. He also had a record of 32 wins, 4 losses, and 1 draw in his professional career.

3. How did Joe Frazier's passing affect the boxing community?

Joe Frazier's passing was met with great sadness and mourning in the boxing community. He was a beloved figure and his contributions to the sport will always be remembered. Many fellow boxers, trainers, and fans paid tribute to him and his legacy.

4. What was Joe Frazier's impact on the sport of boxing?

Joe Frazier's impact on the sport of boxing is immeasurable. He was known for his aggressive and relentless fighting style, which earned him the nickname "Smokin' Joe". He also helped bring attention to the heavyweight division and was a key figure in making boxing one of the most popular sports in the world.

5. How will Joe Frazier be remembered in the history of boxing?

Joe Frazier will be remembered as one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time. His legacy will live on through his legendary fights, his impact on the sport, and the inspiration he provided to future generations of boxers. He will always be remembered as a true boxing legend and a champion in and out of the ring.