Jogging my memory.... (refreshing on subjects before returning for my MSME)

In summary, the speaker is returning to school after being out for 3.5 years and is worried about forgetting important math and physics concepts. They plan to brush up on these subjects before starting graduate level courses and are looking for advice and recommendations. Khan Academy is suggested as a helpful resource.
Tone L
Hi folks,

I am returning to school this coming fall to pursue a M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering. This fall, I will have been out of school for about 3.5 years and let me tell you, I have forgotten a large portion of calculus and intermediate classical physics :D.

Rather than have this rift of knowledge grow before I get smacked in the face by graduate level courses, I plan to be proactive and brush up on calculus, differential equations, classical physics and more. However, that sounds good in practice but it will be overwhelming.

I turn to the community to ask, has anyone gone through this or something similar? If so, what did you do to prepare? Also, any general recommendations on to harness my skills again will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you still have your old textbooks?

You might check out the Khan Academy videos, and pick a few that seem appropriate as refreshers... :smile:

Likes Tone L
Ah yes, Khan Academy is a good recommendation. Thanks Berkeman.

Likes berkeman

1. How can I effectively jog my memory before returning for my MSME?

To effectively jog your memory before returning for your MSME, you can try different techniques such as creating flashcards, summarizing key concepts, reviewing old notes or textbooks, and practicing problem-solving exercises. These methods can help refresh your memory and improve your understanding of the subject.

2. Is it necessary to jog my memory before returning for my MSME?

It is highly recommended to jog your memory before returning for your MSME. This will help you recall important information and concepts that you may have forgotten over time. It can also improve your overall understanding and performance in the course.

3. How often should I jog my memory before returning for my MSME?

The frequency of jogging your memory before returning for your MSME will depend on your individual needs. It is recommended to do it regularly, such as once a week or every few days, to keep the information fresh in your mind. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of the subject, you may not need to do it as often.

4. Can jogging my memory help me prepare for exams or assignments?

Yes, jogging your memory can be a helpful tool in preparing for exams or assignments. By refreshing your memory on key concepts and information, you can improve your understanding and recall during exams or when completing assignments.

5. Are there any other benefits to jogging my memory before returning for my MSME?

Aside from improving your understanding and performance in your MSME, jogging your memory can also help you make connections between different concepts and improve your critical thinking skills. It can also boost your confidence and reduce test anxiety.