Remembering Johnny Carson - A Tribute to the Legendary Tonight Show Host

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Johnny Carson, the long time "Tonight Show" TV host who served America a smooth nightcap of celebrity banter, droll comedy and heartland charm for 30 years, has died. He was 79.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
"Johnny Carson, the long time "Tonight Show" TV host who served America a smooth nightcap of celebrity banter, droll comedy and heartland charm for 30 years, has died. He was 79."

This is so sad. I grew up watching Johnny. He was so funny. I loved his "Carnac" fortune telling skits. I will never forget the one where he holds the envelope to his head and says "sis, boom, bah". The question - What sounds does a sheep make when it blows up?"

A link for those unfamiliar with Carson. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=435893

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was a huge Carson fan. RIP Johnny. :frown:

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/T/htmlT/tonightshow/tonightshow.htm

I used to watch Johnny while curled up on one of my grandparents' laps when I'd visit them for sleepovers as a child (my parents would have never let me stay up so late, but grandparents can invoke special privileges regarding such rules). Late night TV has never been the same since he retired. He was a great entertainer.

Evo said:
I loved his "Carnac" fortune telling skits. I will never forget the one where he holds the envelope to his head and says "sis, boom, bah". The question - What sounds does a sheep make when it blows up?"
Or, The answer is: John, Matthew and Luke.

The Question: Name two apostles and a water temperture.

I'll never forget the night that Johnny came back right after Don Rickles had been guest host. Don had accidentally broken some nick-knack on Johnny's desk.
When Johnny noticed it was broken he went next door, taking a camera man with him and confronted Don about it right on the set of "CPO Sharkey" where Don was filming. It was the only time I ever saw Rickles at a loss for words!

Janus said:
I'll never forget the night that Johnny came back right after Don Rickles had been guest host. Don had accidentally broken some nick-knack on Johnny's desk.
When Johnny noticed it was broken he went next door, taking a camera man with him and confronted Don about it right on the set of "CPO Sharkey" where Don was filming. It was the only time I ever saw Rickles at a loss for words!
I think it was a cigarette box that Johnny had been given that had special meaning to him. I also saw the show where Rickles broke the box.

Do you remember seeing the time that guy threw the ax at that board with the man drawn on it? Everyone on the set was in tears.

Evo said:
Do you remember seeing the time that guy threw the ax at that board with the man drawn on it? Everyone on the set was in tears.

:rofl: Yep, especially the men! I recall the aim being a bit "low." :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Yep, especially the men! I recall the aim being a bit "low." :rofl:
Not just "where" it hit, but the angle of the ax was just "perfect". :rofl:

There was once a little old lady who had worked in a potato chip factory for most of her life. Over the decades she had collected dozens of strange chips that looked like something, such as a dog, a duck, Nixon...and I think her most prized possession was a potato chip that looked like Elvis. When she came on the show to display her collection, and while Johnny was holding the most highly prized Elvis chip, and when the lady looked away, he ate the chip! She swung around and glared at him in shock. She was speechless! Johnny just sat there chewing the chip and looking very guilty. Then he showed her the bowl of chips that he had hidden below his desk. Elvis was fine. :rofl:

And let's not forget the Gabor sister (Zsa-Zsa/Ava) that while she had her pet kitty in her lap asked him if he wanted to pet her (word for cat that starts with p) and he said "sure, if you move that cat."

Saw on the news while traveling.

I have missed him for years. Gee I must be getting old.

The nice thing - he comedy was clean - well excluding the one with the cat in Zsa-Zsa's lap.

Apparently our old favorites are everyone's old favorites. They replayed some "best of" on the news last night, including the axe to the cardboard dummy, and the potato chip switcharoo. They also showed how he handled jokes that bombed too. That's what he was really known for. I've never seen another comedian who could really handle a bombed joke the way he could. Almost made it seem like he did it on purpose.

1. What was the cause of Johnny Carson's death?

Johnny Carson passed away on January 23, 2005 due to respiratory failure caused by emphysema.

2. How old was Johnny Carson when he died?

Johnny Carson was 79 years old when he passed away.

3. What were Johnny Carson's contributions to the entertainment industry?

Johnny Carson was a legendary American television host and comedian, best known for his 30-year run as the host of "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He revolutionized late-night talk shows and set the standard for future hosts with his quick wit, charm, and ability to engage with guests.

4. How did Johnny Carson's death impact the entertainment world?

Johnny Carson's death left a huge void in the entertainment world, as he was beloved by many and considered a pioneer and icon in the industry. Many celebrities and fans mourned his passing and paid tribute to his legacy.

5. What is Johnny Carson's legacy?

Johnny Carson's legacy is one of a groundbreaking and influential entertainer who changed the landscape of late-night television. He will be remembered for his incredible talent, humor, and lasting impact on the entertainment industry.

Back