Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

John Allegro and Amanita Muscaria

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

The mushroom is Amanita Muscaria, and surprisingly it is not on a DEA control list, which makes it legal. John Allegro wrote several books and he claims that early Christianity came from practices of using that mushroom, and that all statements made about Jesus are actually about that mushroom. Simply put early people worshipped the mushroom - as it was given life by the Sun - and it was red, so they naturally assumed it is the living god on Earth. Particularly interesting is that this wasnt the first case of such practices, and could be traced back to Indian religions and Judaism.

One of his books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...05146-3591031?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross - [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The bit about an "ancient sex and mushroom cult" made me giggle.

Seriously though, how could you question anyone who studied at the University of Manchester? It must be true! :smile:

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    Be careful if you want to munch some, 2 varieties of the species are deadly. The rest of them will make you want to puke.
    They grow in many places around the world, and the sex aspect of them is well known.

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4
    i only wish that guy could shed more light on hebrew religion instead inventing some fantastic tales about christianity.i know it is fashionable nowadays to spew dirt on christians and catholics but lets be fair, i rather be catholic and believe in new testament than believe in horrific and super fantastic tales of old testament.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    Why hang a guy who eats mushrooms on a cross? Or was it a mushroom on the cross?
    And who or what is God according to this theory?

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

no

the cross is the mushroom

if you go to any church and you'll see the sign "The Christ Has Risen" you'll see the sun rays somewhere there, and the cross - its a mushroom. The 'myth' has risen. :)

8. Apr 6, 2005 #7
    Hi,

What it boils down to is that the early christians were a bunch of mushrrom eating hippies and that Joshua ben Joseph was either there leader and/or the mushroom itself.

I kinda liked the book.

I myself prefer small doses of the psylicybin type.

juju

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  9. Apr 6, 2005 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

10. Apr 6, 2005 #9
    Philip K. Dick's The Transmigration Of Timothy Archer talks about this with some interesting ideas. It's fiction, and labeled as such. ;-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?