Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

John Bahcall Dead at 70

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The famous astrophysicist and head of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, John Bahcall, has died. Here's a brief article on him. Professor Bahcall is partifcularly noted for his work on the solar neutrino problem, insisting that solar models were correct and encouraging physicists to search for new neutrino physics.

As a side note, John Bahcall was one of the most powerful (perhaps the most powerful) members of the astronomical/astrophysical community all the way up to his death. His death will likely have significant consequences for the political landscape of astrophysics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  4. Aug 19, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Aug 21, 2005 #4
    John Bahcall was really a great physicist. His research interests very diverse from particle physics to cosmology. He had been associted with many observational projects , like the Hubble space telescope. He wrote three or four books also. I like the book "Unsolved problems in astrophysics". I think this is an excellent book for graduate students working in this field and if they read it before going in any particular field then it will really help to make choice.

John wrote many popular articles also which can be find on his princton's webpage.

6. Aug 21, 2005 #5

Haelfix

Science Advisor

A sad note, I knew him well. A towering figure in astrophysics for many decades. One of those unreplaceable types.

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Very sad. I never met the man, just a few of his students. He was a giant in our time.

8. Aug 21, 2005 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What was the Bahcall paper (or other published work) that you read which first made you appreciate the quality of his work?

For me, Hubble Deep Field Constraint on Baryonic Dark Matter was one such (though, being published in 1996, I'm sure it wasn't the first).

9. Aug 22, 2005 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

My personal favorite is his work on solar neutrinos:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9211291
    Title: What Do Solar Models Tell Us About Solar Neutrino Experiments?
    Author: John N. Bahcall

Thanks Nereid, I am humbled by your questions. You are a very bright lady. I admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I just try to do the best I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?