Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

John Oliver on science

1. May 9, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Very funny and insightful video:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2
    The cool thing I find about that guy in my opinion is how he manages to compress to less than half an hour a lengthy subject (of anything he talks about) and still make it precise, accurate, informational, and attractive to hear.

I say "he manages to compress", but there's probably a whole team working on and stuff (perhaps helping with editing and such).

4. May 9, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Haha! Nice!

5. May 10, 2016 #4

Astronuc

His criticism of how the media sensationalizes 'new' studies, or any study, or otherwise portrays science or scientists, is warranted.

And then there is the pressure on the part of many to publish. I often see the same paper published in different journals without much new information, and sometimes, the same work is published at multiple conferences.

I know of some cases were reviewers rejected papers that were subsequently published, and so, sometimes, garbage gets published.

6. May 11, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just because a reviewer rejects a paper, that doesn't mean it shouldn't get published. It's a big red flag though.

7. May 11, 2016 #6

Astronuc

Two reviewers rejected the paper, and there was some problems with the work, not to mention that the paper failed to address something that in the paper was claimed would be addressed. One of the authors was a former student of the editor of the prestigious international journal. But I digress.

Three of Oliver's criticisms are how the media portrays science, or scientific studies, how popsci trivializes science, and in some cases, how some institutions or individuals misrepresent scientific matters or mislead the public.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted