1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Johnson noise & Shot noise

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if someone could give me some ways to combat Johnson noise and shot noise.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sure. What is the context? If it's noise in a sensor, what is the sensor technology? How much amplification do you need? What is the bandwidth and character of the signal that you are amplifying? What kind of back-end processing are you doing of the signal?

4. Dec 13, 2006 #3
    There isn't really a context. I'm in an instrumentation class, and one of the questions is "Describe the origins of Johnson noise and Shot noise and appropriate countermeasures you can take to deal with them."

I know what they are, but I've been trying for the life of me to find out what the countermeasures are. I don't have them in my class notes and they're not in the textbook.

5. Dec 13, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, tell me a little about the effects of temperature and bandwidth on each.

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A simple way is to write down the equations giving their spectral density and/or their integrated RMS constribution, and to see what factors lower it. Hint: lowering the temperature might help for Johnson noise. But also other things play a role. Now look at the other quantities in the formulas...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?