Joining MENSA - How to Become a Member

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: IQs in the 130-140 range. Some people might find it helpful to take an IQ test in order to join MENSA, but I don't think it's necessary.
JamesU
Gold Member
now, I know that everyone at PF hates MENSA immensly, but I don't care.

I'm wondering if anyone here know's how to join. it seems like the MENSA test is figuring out how to become a member. I know I'm qualified. I'm in the international high iq society, and my iq is about 135. but how to join?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does everyone hate MENSA and what in the world is the international high iq society? I swear i remember hearing that on king of the hill...

http://www.highiqsociety.com

that's just a joke, click the link, take you to the real page

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a member?

yes...

yomamma said:
http://www.highiqsociety.com

that's just a joke, click the link, take you to the real page

Man I feel like a moron, mine's 104 :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only got 121... i guess watching family guy takes away a few points...

Something about that site makes me wonder though :P

:rofl: :rofl: I'm too busy to take th test!

I'm not quite sure but I think that you need a genius IQ to join MENSA which I think starts at 160. Maybe I should check first huh?

i thought it was 130

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm not quite sure but I think that you need a genius IQ to join MENSA which I think starts at 160. Maybe I should check first huh?

Its 130. I heard you can get a discount on car insurance!

http://www.mensa.org/
Ok.. so appearantly since scores can vary depending on the test you took the criteria stands at testing in the top 2% for whatever intelligence test you take. There's more info on the site.
Since geniuses tend to be absent minded I doubt they will mind your lack of ability to use Google. :tongue:

I have a big problem in taking any kind of test which are abit long! :grumpy: I get tired and bored too soon and I just answer the last questions randomly! :rofl: How can I be more patient?

140 and up is near-genius/genius level.
In some countries apearantly Mensa members can get special credit cards and insurance. A friend of mine suggests that to quell an ignorant population all Mensa members should be issued a firearm and a liscence to shoot people for being idiots.

TheStatutoryApe said:
140 and up is near-genius/genius level.
In some countries apearantly Mensa members can get special credit cards and insurance. A friend of mine suggests that to quell an ignorant population all Mensa members should be issued a firearm and a liscence to shoot people for being idiots.

Based on IQ or based on actions? Cause I don't feel like getting shot.

Diencephalon said:
Based on IQ or based on actions? Cause I don't feel like getting shot.
Yeah I know, I didn't think it was avery good idea either. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yeah I know, I didn't think it was avery good idea either. :wink:

To me, IQ never mattered much because I never actually knew what mine was or could be until tonight. I never let it hinder me or haunt me throughout my life, you know?

Just becuase I'm 104 doesn't mean I can't achieve my goals of becoming a nuclear engineer. ;)

I don't believe this test could say anything about our IQ! Most of time I fil the last questions randomly but I still get a high IQ!I think it means I'm lucky!

I get distracted too easily to get an accurate score :|

Hmm--I took the "Tickle" IQ test (searched google for "IQ test")-->and got 136. Where exactly does that fit in on the IQ curve? Can I really trust that IQ test??

**Btw, minimum IQ to join MENSA is 140, according to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/archive/index.php/t-2433.html. Smart indeed, for them to have their own IQ test, b/c online is risky business; there are sites with really WEAK IQ tests...:frown:

No its suppose to be 130... but I think they recently changed it to top 2%

I knew a women who was in MENSA. She was quite incompetent at just about everything. Her apartment was disorderly and reeked of cat crap. She barely had any money and borrowed constantly from her rich parents (she was in her early thirties). She taught English as a second language and married one of her students (a Cuban) to get him citizenship. She was very intelligent and one of the most articulate and clever speakers I've ever met, but she radiated insecurity. I don't think she took part in any MENSA activities, if they even had any. She apparently joined on a whim just because she could.

MENSA requirement is a score in the top 2% (standard deviation 2) of the population on a standardized and supervised IQ test. That means:

132- Stanford-Binet
148- Cattel
130- Wechsler

As you can see an IQ score doesn't mean much without indicating the relevant scale.

MENSA is for people who is in possession of a particular form of intellect, and often very little besides. I know of very few accomplished scientists who are members of MENSA, but I do know about quite a few truck drivers and the like who are.

arildno said:
MENSA is for people who is in possession of a particular form of intellect, and often very little besides. I know of very few accomplished scientists who are members of MENSA, but I do know about quite a few truck drivers and the like who are.
:bugeye: :bugeye: Maybe these truck drivershaven't had enough money to continue their educations! :cry:

Lisa! said:
:bugeye: :bugeye: Maybe these truck drivershaven't had enough money to continue their educations! :cry:
That might well be the case in some instances.
However, the ability to pick out the right abstract pattern in a stylized test tells very little about the abilities of a person besides the obvious fact that he has the ability to pick out the right abstract pattern in a stylized test..

arildno said:

Not to mention ESL teachers.

Pengwuino said:
I only got 121... i guess watching family guy takes away a few points...
Soooooo worth it.

I joined a group many years ago. There meetings were a nightmare of people bickering, telling other people how much they know, to the point where it was really rude. One year was enough for me. And not one of them was smart enough to make a good cup of coffee.
I'm sure some groups of MENSA are better then others. The trick would be to find a good group in your area.

hypatia said:
I joined a group many years ago. There meetings were a nightmare of people bickering, telling other people how much they know, to the point where it was really rude. One year was enough for me. And not one of them was smart enough to make a good cup of coffee.
This doesn't surprise me. I think MENSA is filled with individuals who feel their intellect isn't appreciated as it ought to have been, and who fail to see that the ability to solve logical puzzles isn't really an asset.

hypatia said:

Sounds like PF. :wink:

Umm... Why join MENSA??

From what I remember you can either submit a Revised Weshler, Standard Binet, and I also believe they take some other forms of standardized tests, I think Miller Analogies may be on there list. I don't think they take SAT/GRE scores anymore. Also you can schedule a test date to take a "standardized" MENSA test which may take place at a location close to you.

Keep in mind that MENSA, Weshler, Stanford Binet, Miller analogies, as well as most of their accepted tests, place a very high value on "verbal" intelligence. Tis partly why these standardized tests are correlated so highly with the SAT/GRE. Online tests, despite what they may claim, even the better ones, are simply not the same, they are drastically different (I've taken a couple of psych courses, including the higher level ones just for the fun of it). They also take a lot longer to complete.

-online tests evaluate a specific group of the population, most test takers who actually feel the need to engage in these online tests are actually "dumber" than those who don't feel the need to take them since they already have a good self assessment from early accomplishments.

-Online tests don't evaluate verbal intelligence, or nearly as much.

-Online tests don't evaluate memory, or the ability to regurgitate a sequence backwards from that stated from the test administrator (e.g. 1239849050, regurgitate it backwards. They fail to evaluate other components of intelligence.

-There is not nearly as much pressure from these online tests as when you're face to face with a test administrator and your concentration is being tested for hours.

Also, I would imagine that the top 2 percent assertion is not accurate. Most people who already have a good self assessment from their early academic accomplishments do not feel the need to take such tests as Weshler when they had already taken the SAT. But I don't think it's such a bad idea to join Mensa, nothing quite wrong with keeping yourself stimulated and busy by exercising your brain.

GCT said:
I don't think they take SAT/GRE scores anymore.
members.shaw.ca/delajara/criteria.html

1994 is the infamous cutoff year. The SAT was modified in 1994. Average scores jumped higher from that year on and the yearly number of perfect scores multiplied compared to pre-1994.

GCT said:
Also, I would imagine that the top 2 percent assertion is not accurate.
g does not conform to a normal distribution within 2σ of the mean?