1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Joint Advisors in PhD program

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I'm curious if anyone has any experience working for two advisers, particularly in two different fields. In my case, I'd focus on synthesizing materials in a chem lab (that focuses on synthesis) and then working in a EE/physics lab that would focus on characterizing said material, in particular focusing on magnetic properties. Both labs already have a standing collaboration. My skill set and interest would allow me to work in either lab.

Some professors have told me to not to even bother and just be a student in one lab and work in the other lab when needed. Besides the bureaucracy of "who pays for my RA this term" and what not, what other topics should I consider?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What is the advantage of doing this? It seems like a headache.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3

king vitamin

Gold Member

I was told that a possible problem could be that one or both of the professors sees you as the other professor's problem, so you don't get full attention (especially when it comes to getting your name out for postdocs/jobs).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook