Joint characterisitc function

In summary: F(s,t) = (exp(ρσs^2/2)exp(ρσt^2/2))(exp(ρσs^3)exp(ρσt^3))...(exp(ρσs^m)exp(ρσt^m)) = exp(ρσs^2/2 + ρσs^3 + ... + ρσs^m)exp(ρσt^2/2 + ρσt^3 + ... + ρσt^m)In summary, to find the joint characteristic function of Sn and Sm, we can use the individual characteristic functions of Xi and the given covariance function.
lolypop
1. The problem statement

X1,X2,X3...Xn are RVs with the same mean and covariance function as follow :
COV(Xi,Xj)=ρ (σ)^|i-j|

if Sn=X1+X2+...Xm , Sm=X1+X2+...Xm where m<n
find the joint characterisitic function of Sn and Sm
2. Homework Equations .
the general equation of the characterisitic function

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the joint characterisitic function for Sn and Sm but got stuck since they didn't specified the distribution of Xi . but there was a hint in the question I couldn't use that is to condition on Sm but how to use it since Xi are dependent (since the Cov(Xi,Xj)not= zero (so they are uncorrelated )?!

I'd really appreciate a small hint to know exactly where to start

lolypop

Physics news on Phys.org
's attempt at a solutionLet F(s,t) be the joint characteristic function of Sn and Sm. Then we can express F(s,t) in terms of the individual characteristic functions of Xi as follows:F(s,t) = E[exp(isSn + itSm)] = E[exp(is(X1 + X2 + ... + Xm) + it(X1 + X2 + ... + Xm))] = E[exp(isX1 + itX1 + isX2 + itX2 + ... + isXm + itXm)] = E[exp(isX1 + itX1)]E[exp(isX2 + itX2)]...E[exp(isXm + itXm)] = F1(s,t)F2(s,t)...Fm(s,t)where F1(s,t), F2(s,t), ..., Fm(s,t) are the individual characteristic functions of Xi. From the given information, we know that the covariance between Xi and Xj is equal to ρσ^|i-j|, so we can use this to determine the individual characteristic functions of Xi. Specifically, we have F1(s,t) = E[exp(isX1 + itX1)] = E[exp(isX1)exp(itX1)] = E[exp(isX1)]E[exp(itX1)] = exp(ρσs^2/2)exp(ρσt^2/2) Similarly, for i > 1, we have Fi(s,t) = E[exp(isXi + itXi)] = E[exp(isXi)exp(itXi)] = E[exp(isXi)]E[exp(itXi)] = exp(ρσs^i)exp(ρσt^i) Therefore, the joint characteristic function of Sn and Sm can be expressed as

What is a joint characteristic function?

A joint characteristic function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a set of random variables. It is a generalization of the characteristic function, which describes the distribution of a single random variable.

How is a joint characteristic function related to a joint probability distribution?

A joint characteristic function is the Fourier transform of the joint probability distribution. It contains the same information as the probability distribution, but in a different form.

What is the significance of the joint characteristic function in statistics?

The joint characteristic function is a useful tool in statistics for calculating moments and other properties of random variables. It also allows for the derivation of important statistical quantities such as covariance and correlation.

How is the joint characteristic function useful in multivariate analysis?

In multivariate analysis, the joint characteristic function is used to study the relationships between multiple variables. It can be used to determine if two or more variables are independent, and to explore the dependence structure between them.

Are there any limitations to using a joint characteristic function?

One limitation of using a joint characteristic function is that it may not exist for all probability distributions. It also requires some mathematical knowledge and may not be as intuitive as other methods for analyzing probability distributions.