Calculating Joint Conditional Probability with Independent Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of P(A|x,y) using information on P(x|A), P(y|A), P(x), P(y), and P(A), as well as the assumption that x and y are independent variables. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula P(A|x,y) = P(x,y|A) * P(A) / (P(x)*P(y)), and the speaker asks for confirmation on the correctness of their answer.
Invincible9

Homework Statement

I have access to P(x|A) and P(y|A), P(x), P(y) and P(A), in addition to the knowledge that x and y are independent variables. I am interested in finding P(A|x,y).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that
P(A|x,y) = P(x,y|A) * P(A) / P(x,y) = P(x,y|A) * P(A) / (P(x)*P(y))

I am not particularly good at probability and am dealing with probabilities after considerable time, would like to know if i am doing anything wrong or is my answer correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me.

1. What is joint conditional probability?

Joint conditional probability is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of two events occurring together, given that one event has already occurred. It is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each event occurring separately and then dividing by the probability of the first event occurring.

2. How is joint conditional probability different from regular conditional probability?

Regular conditional probability only considers the probability of one event occurring, while joint conditional probability takes into account the probability of two events occurring together. In other words, regular conditional probability looks at the likelihood of an event happening given that another event has already occurred, while joint conditional probability looks at the likelihood of two events happening together, given that one has already occurred.

3. What is the formula for calculating joint conditional probability?

The formula for joint conditional probability is P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B|A), where P(A) is the probability of event A occurring and P(B|A) is the probability of event B occurring given that event A has already occurred.

4. How is joint conditional probability used in real life?

Joint conditional probability is commonly used in fields such as medicine, economics, and marketing to understand the relationship between two events. For example, it can be used to analyze the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease given that they have a specific symptom, or the likelihood of a customer purchasing a product given that they have a certain demographic.

5. What is the relationship between joint conditional probability and independence?

If two events are independent, then the joint conditional probability of those events will equal the product of their individual probabilities. In other words, if two events are independent, then the probability of them occurring together will be the same as the probability of each event occurring separately. However, if two events are not independent, then the joint conditional probability will be different from the product of their individual probabilities.