Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Distribution Question

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I have a situation where there are N random events. These events can be from either one of two sources, one with a binomial distribution, the other with a Poisson distribution. The events do not provide any evidence of their origin, either distribution could be responsible for creating the event.

The question is, how do I calculate the probability that there will be N events given the parameters for both distributions?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your statement of the problem is a little unclear. But I suspect the answer is "add up the odds of all possible ways it could happen".

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3
    Well, basically each distribution pops out a random number of events, and these events are then observed as a total number of events. Looking at a particular event, I cannot tell if it originates from the binomial or the Poisson distribution.

So I guess what you're saying is, the probability of measuring say, 3 events, is:

P_1(0) * P_2(3) + P_1(1) * P_2(2) + P_1(2) * P_2(1) + P_1(3) * P_2(0)

Correct?

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In other words, you're just looking at the sum of two independent random variables?

Sounds reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?