Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Gaussian With Tensors

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    For vectors we can define the Joint Guasian as follows:

[tex]f_X(x_1, \dots, x_N) = \frac {1} {(2\pi)^{N/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}} \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2} ( x - \mu)^\top \Sigma^{-1} (x - \mu) \right)[/tex]

Now what if [tex](x - \mu)[/tex] is a matrix [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma[/tex] is an order four covariance matrix [tex]Q[/tex] between ellements of [tex]A[/tex]. Can we define a higher dimensional version of the joint gausian in terms of the double dot product as follows:

[tex]f_X(x_1, \dots, x_N) = \frac {1} {(2\pi)^{N/2}|Q|^{1/2}} \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2} ( A - \bar A)^T : Q^{-1} : (A - \bar A) \right)[/tex]

What I see as possible problems are perhaps [tex](2\pi)^{N/2}[/tex] should be [tex](2\pi)^{N^2/2}[/tex]

The transpose operator is ambiguous so maybe index notation is necessary, although the double dot notation seems much neater.

I understand in index notation repeated indices are summed so should I write:

[tex][ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)} [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{m,n}[/tex]

instead of:

[tex]( A - \bar A)^T : Q^{-1} : (A - \bar A) [/tex]

Or maybe just get rid of the transpose operator?

Finally how well is the inverse and determinant of Q defined?

Is [tex]Q^{-1}[/tex] defined so that [tex]Q:Q=I[/tex] where [tex]I[/tex] is rank four and is [tex]1[/tex] on the diagonal and [tex]0[/tex] is every where else?

Other notation issues:

is

[tex][ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)} [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{(m,n)}[/tex]

equivalent to:

[tex] [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{(m,n)}[ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)}[/tex]

Seems like it should be for the case that [tex]Q[/tex] is symmetric but not in general.

Maybe subscrips on indicies would be a good way to define transposes:

so [tex][Q^{-1}]^{(i_2,j_1,m,n)}[/tex] would be [tex][Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[/tex] with the first two indicies permuted (I'm sure this isn't the standard convention. Also note I haven't taken any courses that cover tensors so my knowledge is quite limited.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted