Joint Loaded in Tension: Solving for Component CSA | Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: For example, "Your cross-sectional areas are incorrect." might mean "You have computed the wrong cross-sectional area." Explain what you meant by "the wrong cross-sectional area."
elephunk

Homework Statement

Stuck on this for quite some time.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1387/22580211.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the component parts in question. Don't know where to even begin to find this solution (dont have my scanner here too). I am assuming I need to work out the CSAs of all the materials then move on from there? Need some assistance.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
elephunk: Cross-sectional areas are one thing you need. Read a few pages in your textbook to find out how to compute the different types of stress. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

Can you suggest two textbooks I can find this in? I've got technology of engineering materials and mechanical engineering principles and they don't appear to go in depth with stress.This is unlike anything I've done before and I've been searching for the information for days.

I've calculated the CSAs.

Steel CSA = 0.1mm^2
Timber CSA = 0.3mm^2

Thanks

elephunk: Your cross-sectional areas are currently incorrect. Try again. Applied stress in this problem is force divided by area. Compare that stress to the given material strength by dividing the applied stress by material strength, which is called stress level, R. The highest stress level governs (fails first). Also, per the international standard (ISO 31-0), always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 20 mm, not 20mm. Also, N/mm^2 is called MPa. Always use the correct unit symbol (MPa in this case), if a derived unit has a special name.

1. You need to be clear about the distinct meanings of s t and tau
2. The end distance given has a clue to another failure mode

Steel = 20x5 - (5x5)= 75 mm^2

timber = 20x15-15x5= 270 mm^2

brass = pi*D^2/4=19.625 mm^2

Those are the CSAs. So from then on what do I do with the tmax and smax values. I didn't quite understand what you mean?

This is so confusing for me sorry.

Your cross-sectional areas are incorrect. The diameter of the rivet is 10 mm. Try again. After that, compute the stress on the cross-sectional areas. The third sentence of post 4 tells you how to do that. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. We are not allowed to give you the equations nor do your school assignment for you on this site. If you do not understand a particular sentence, explain exactly which part of the sentence or words you do not understand, and explain why you do not understand the words.

1. What is joint loaded in tension?

Joint loaded in tension refers to a type of mechanical loading where external forces are applied to a joint in a way that causes it to stretch or elongate, putting the components of the joint under tension.

2. Why is it important to solve for component CSA in joint loaded in tension?

Solving for component cross-sectional area (CSA) in joint loaded in tension is important because it allows us to determine the amount of stress and strain that the components of the joint will experience. This information is crucial in designing and engineering structures that can withstand the applied forces without failure.

3. What factors affect the CSA in joint loaded in tension?

There are several factors that can affect the CSA in joint loaded in tension, including the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, the material properties of the components, and the geometry of the joint.

4. How can I calculate the CSA in joint loaded in tension?

There are various methods for calculating the CSA in joint loaded in tension, but one common approach is to use the engineering stress-strain curve of the material to determine the amount of stress that the joint can withstand, and then use this value to calculate the required CSA using the formula CSA = Force/Applied Stress.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for solving for component CSA in joint loaded in tension?

Yes, a step-by-step guide for solving for component CSA in joint loaded in tension typically involves the following steps:

1. Determine the magnitude and direction of the applied forces on the joint.
  2. Identify the material properties of the joint components, including the yield strength and modulus of elasticity.
  3. Calculate the required CSA using the formula CSA = Force/Applied Stress.
  4. Check if the calculated CSA is within the allowable limits for the material, otherwise adjust the design accordingly.