Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint PDF

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    Can anyone tell me how to find the joint PDF of two random variables? I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere. I'm trying to solve a problem but I'm not sure where to go with it:

Y is an exponential random variable with parameter [tex]\lambda=4[/tex]. X is also an exponential random variable and independent of Y with [tex]\lambda=3[/tex].. Find the PDF [tex]f_W(w)[/tex], where [tex]W=X+Y[/tex].

I know that I simply use:

[tex]f_W(w) = \int\int (x+y) f_{X,Y}(x,y)dydx[/tex]

The problem is that I don't know how to find their joint PDF. I know their PDF's separately:

x\geq 0\\0, & otherwise\end{array}\right.[/tex]

x\geq 0\\0, & otherwise\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Would this help me in anyway? Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    the joint density function is simply the product of the individual density functions
    see here under independence:
    in that article you also find the correct formula for the density of X+Y, what you have there seems to be the formula for E[X+Y] imho
  4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Yeah sorry I realized I made a mistake, and that link helped a lot. Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?