1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint pdf

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the joint pdf of [itex] X [/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is
    [tex] f(x,y)= (8/3)xy , 0<x<1,0<y<2, x<y<2x [/tex]
    Compute [tex] P(Y<\sqrt{X}) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \int_0^1 \int_x^{\sqrt{x}} (8/3)xy dy dx = (4/3) \int_0^1 x - x^2 dx = 2/9[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wrong answer: start over. Be very careful about the integration region or regions---always draw a picture first, before writing down your integrals.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    I want to add to this post. Sorry for the double posting. I know this solution I posted above can't be right. I tried switching the order of integration from dydx to dxdy and I get 1/3. One of my classmates suggested doing a bivariate transformation, which I haven't tried but I am a little confused as to why I wouldn't be able to just go ahead and compute this directly.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4
    Here is the picture I drew. Am I not drawing this right?

Attached Files:

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite right: for small x > 0 you have the wrong upper limit on y (but it is OK for larger x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted