1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint PMF

1. Jul 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Roll a 6-sided die 5 times. Event X is when a 1,2,3 shows up. Event Y is when 4,5 show up. Show the joint PMF.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So... here is where im at...

X~Bin(5,0.5) & Y~Bin(5,1/3)

P(X=x)=(5 C x)(.5^5) & P(Y=y)=(5 C y)(1/3)^y (2/3)^(5-y)

Also the events are dependent... which is where my confusion comes from

Originaly I did not realize it was dependant and I found all the joint probabilities by doing p(x,y)=p(x)p(y), but this is not correct because you cannot have X=4 & Y=3

Then I tried conditional probabilitys...

P(X=x,Y=y) = P(x)*P(y|x)=(5 C x)(.5^5)*((5-x) C y)(1/3)^y (2/3)^(5-y)

but this is not working out either. What am I doing wrong. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't like your labelling of X the as occurrence of {1,2,3}. Instead, let X = number of tosses resulting in {1,2,3} and let Y = number of tosses resulting in {4,5}. So, X~Bin(5,1/2), and for each x ε {0,1,2,3,4,5}, Y|X=x is Bin(5-x,1/3).

Alternatively, you can say that Y ~ Bin(5,1/3) and for each y ε {0--5}, X|Y=y is Bin(5-y,1/2).

Either way, you can get p(x,y). It might prove instructive to show that both ways give you the same p(x,y).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    Ya I kinda short handed the problem. But so your saying I have the correct formula? Because when I applied it I didn't get a sum of marginal probabilities equal to 1. I even used excel to make sure there was not an error in arithmetic.

5. Jul 27, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You write "so your saying I have the correct formula?" I said nothing of the sort, and I don't know why you think I did. Read my posting again!

6. Jul 28, 2013 #5
    Ok so I tried to find it both ways but got different answers...

X~B(5,0.5), Y~ B(5-x,1/3), p(x,y)=p(x)p(y|x)=(5Cx)(0.5^5)*((5-x)Cy)((1/3)^y)((2/3)^(5-x-y))

... I thought this was the correct answer because all the marginal probabilities did sum to 1. But my professor disagreed.

so I tried ...
    X~B(5-y,0.5), Y~ B(5,1/3), p(x,y)=p(y)p(x|y)=(5Cy)((1/3)^y)((2/3)^(5-y)*((5-y)Cx)((1/2)^x)(1/2)^(5-y-x))

... but did not get a sum of probabilities =1.

Are my formulas still wrong???

7. Jul 29, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry: I tried to edit my previous posting but the system would not let me, and so I decided to wait until you responded before posting a new response (not being sure if you had or had not abandoned the topic).

I made a blunder before. Given {X=x}, the remaining tosses must result in outcomes {4,5,6}, and so the conditional probability governing Y is 2/3 (must get 4 or 5 from 4,5,6). That is, Y|X=x ~ bin(5-x,2/3). Similarly, X|Y=y ~ bin(5-y,3/4).

If you know about the multinomial distribution, this problem involves the trinomial case, because if we have {X=x, Y=y}, there must be Z = 5-x-y outcomes from the third set {6}. So we really have trinom(5;1/2,1/3,1,6):
    [tex] P\{X = x, Y = y\} = P\{X = x, Y = y, Z = 5-x-y\} = {5 \choose x, y, 5-x-y} (1/2)^x(1/3)^y (1/6)^{5-x-y}. [/tex]
    Here
    [tex] {n \choose a,b,c} = \frac{n!}{a! b! c!}[/tex]
    is the trinomial coeffcient.

8. Jul 31, 2013 #7
    ok thanks, I finally got it right... Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted