Joint Probability of Z & W: Homework Statement

In summary, Homework Equations state that if X,Y are independent and identically distributed (i.i.d) random variables uniformly distributed over the interval (0,2), then Z=X-Y and W=X+Y. However, Z and W are not independent and are not uniformly distributed.
aruna1

Homework Statement

If and where X,Y are independent and identically distributed (i.i.d) random variables uniformly distributed over the interval (0,2).

Z=X-Y
W=X+Y

(a) Find the joint pdf of Z and W .
(b) Show that even though the random variables Z,W are uncorrelated they are not independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to this.
i know E[XY]=E[X].E[Y] but don't know if it is gong to help here.

can some one point me how to solve this
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what are Z & W?

lanedance said:
what are Z & W?
sorry i have missed it

Z=X-Y
W=X+Y

not too sure how to show the joint pdf, but as a start

but for W = X+Y, you can write the pdf of W as a convolution
[tex] f_W(w) = \int dx f_X(x) f_Y(w-x) [/tex]

simlarly for Z = X-Y
[tex] f_Z(z) = \int dx f_X(x) f_Y(z+x) [/tex]

the mean values will be
E[Z] = <Z> = <X-Y> = <X> - <Y>
E[W] = <W> = <X+Y> = <X> + <Y>

the convariance will be given by
E[(Z-<Z>)(W-<W>)]
substituting in for Z & Y should get the desired result

lanedance said:
not too sure how to show the joint pdf, but as a start

but for W = X+Y, you can write the pdf of W as a convolution
[tex] f_W(w) = \int dx f_X(x) f_Y(w-x) [/tex]

simlarly for Z = X-Y
[tex] f_Z(z) = \int dx f_X(x) f_Y(z+x) [/tex]

the mean values will be
E[Z] = <Z> = <X-Y> = <X> - <Y>
E[W] = <W> = <X+Y> = <X> + <Y>

the convariance will be given by
E[(Z-<Z>)(W-<W>)]
substituting in for Z & Y should get the desired result

well is there any thing we can do with given info like unifomely distributed in range of 0,2

yes, think area...

lanedance said:
yes, think area...

well i get f(x)=1/2
and f(y)=1/2

but what is the use of them in here

if X,Y independent the does Z and W independent too?

now i haven't totally put it together yet, but what i meant in terms of area, consider the poistive quandrant in the plane bounded by X,Y from 0 to 2. Each section of area is directly proportional to the probabilty of finding (X,Y) in that area

The line X=Y, represents Z=X-Y=0, and there will be cumulative probabilty F(z<0) = 1/2, the probabilty density of z=Z is a maximum here, and decreases linearly to zero at Z=-2, Z=2

Similary consider the line from (0,2) to (2,0), that represents W = 2, and W can take values from 0 to 4.

also from a quick google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_distribution. if you can find the conditional distribution, you're pretty much there

aruna1 said:
if X,Y independent the does Z and W independent too?

i don't think so in this case

if two variables are independent then the conditional probabilty reduces to the independent probabilty,
P(A|B) = P(A)

however in this case looking at the areas, that doesn't appear so

can i use marginal density find f(Z,W)

f(z) = [tex]\int f(z,w) dw[/tex]

now consider first w<2, the cumulative distribution will be the area bounded by the triangle of side w, divided by2x2=4 to normalise
for w<2
[tex] P_W(W<w) = \frac{w^2}{2.4} [/tex]

then differentiating gives
[tex] f_W(W=w)dw = \frac{w}{4}dw [/tex]

by the symmetry for w>2
[tex] f_W(W=w)dw = \frac{1-w}{4}dw [/tex]

now can you find the conditional distribution
[tex] P_{Z|W}(Z<z|W=w) = ? [/tex]
in the geomoetric picture, i think you might be considering lengths of lines...

as soon as you can show the probability density is not independent of W, you have shown they are not independent variables

now that I think of it though, you can probably do it by substituting into the original integrals, though its not as intuitive... but actually it looks tricky

Last edited:
thanks I'll give it a try

aruna1 said:
can i use marginal density find f(Z,W)

f(z) = [tex]\int f(z,w) dw[/tex]

the marginal probabilty as I understand it is the probabilty of W, regardless of Z, it is the same as the previously given [itex] f_W(W=w) [/itex]

for further geometric insight compare [itex] f_W(W=w) [/itex] with the length of the line, given by W=X+Y = w

now what is the conditional probability of Z=z, given W=w, written as [itex] f_{Z|W}(Z=z|W=w) [/itex]

once again think of the length of lines

The joint pdf will then be given by
[tex] f_{W,Z}(W=w, Z=z) = f_{Z|W}(Z=z|W=w) f_W(W=w) [/tex]
(see previous reference)

1. What is joint probability?

Joint probability is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of two or more events occurring simultaneously. It is the probability of the intersection of two or more events, denoted as P(Z ∩ W).

2. How is joint probability calculated?

Joint probability is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event Z is 0.5 and the probability of event W is 0.3, the joint probability of Z and W occurring together is 0.5 x 0.3 = 0.15.

3. What is the difference between joint probability and conditional probability?

Joint probability measures the likelihood of two or more events occurring together, while conditional probability measures the likelihood of one event occurring given that another event has already occurred. Joint probability is denoted as P(A ∩ B) and conditional probability is denoted as P(A|B).

4. Can joint probability be greater than 1?

No, joint probability cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event occurring cannot exceed 100%. If the calculated joint probability is greater than 1, it is likely that the events are not independent and the calculations need to be reassessed.

5. How is joint probability used in real-world applications?

Joint probability is used in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering to analyze the likelihood of multiple events occurring together. It is also used in data analysis to identify relationships between variables and make predictions.