Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Type

  1. Jul 18, 2012 #1

    Does anyone know what the name of this joint is? And if possible where i could buy a plastic version in Australia or online?


    Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Welcome to PF, Rohan.
    I've never seen one like it, but it appears to just be an extremely simplified version of a ball-and-socket. Furthermore, frequent motion seems to be ruled out by the clamping screw, so tolerances aren't critical.
    You could make one yourself just by gluing a ball to the end of a rod, then using a countersink drill bit to form the 2 halves of the socket in the bar stock. (I'm thinking that the background of your photo is a sheet of ruled writing paper, which is what I'm going by as a scale reference.)
  4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    I've seen this many times over the years, but never seen a "name" for it. Danger is correct in his description.

    One finds these things on dial indicator positioning arms. One finds those in machinist's tooling supply houses / catalogs.

    Plastic versions? Can't recall if I've ever seen plastic versions. Maybe some type of lab supply or scientific supply source may have something in plastic.
  5. Jul 18, 2012 #4
    Cheers guys for the ideas, im going to ask a few of the techies around uni and hopefully they know where I could find a plastic version from. Pretty simple joint but I got no idea where you find them. Might have to get the tools out and have a crack
  6. Jul 18, 2012 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook