1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jointly WSS

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ϕ(t) = R(t) = autocorrelation
    ϕ(f) = S(f) = power spectral density
    Inputs v[t] and w[t] are zero mean, jointly WSS processes with auto-correlation se-
    quences ϕvv(τ ) and ϕww(τ ), cross-correlation sequence ϕvw(τ ), power spectrums ϕvv(ω)
    and ϕww(ω), and cross power spectrum ϕvw(ω). Let x(t) be the output of a LTI system
    h1(t) with input v(t), i.e. x(t) = h1(t)v(t), and let y(t) be the output of a LTI system
    h2(t) with input w(t), i.e. y(t) = h2(t)  w(t). Assume all quantities to be complex.

(a) Show that x(t) and y(t) are jointly WSS. Determine an expression for ϕxy(τ ) and
    ϕxy(ω) in terms of the input statistics and the system parameters.

(b) Is the cross power spectrum always non-negative, i.e. is ϕxy(ω) ≥ 0, for all ω? Justify
    your answer.

(c) Specialize this formula to obtain an expression for ϕxx(ω).

2. Relevant equations
    ϕxy(τ) = E[x(t)y(t+τ)]
    ϕx(f) = ϕv(f)|H|²
    ϕx(f) = Fourier Transform( ϕx(t) )

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm at a complete loss. For jointly WSS, I need to prove x(t) and y(t) are WSS which they are because of v(t) and w(t) going through an LTI system. But I also need to show ϕxy(τ) only depends on τ.
    I feel that I'm missing a crucial point and don't know how to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2
    I suppose that it is trivial to show X(t) and Y(t) are WSS :wink: So the problem is only to prove X(t) and Y(t) are jointly WSS.
    To do this, expand [itex]R_{XY}(t,t+\tau)[/itex]:

[itex]X(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}V(t-\alpha)h_1(\alpha)d\alpha[/itex]

[itex]Y(t+\tau) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}W(t+\tau-\beta)h_2(\beta)d\beta[/itex]

Hence:

[itex]R_{XY}(t,t+\tau) = \int_{\alpha=-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{\beta=-\infty}^{+\infty} E[V(t-\alpha)W(t+\tau-\beta)]h_1(\alpha)h_2(\beta)d\beta d\alpha[/itex]

It is easy now :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook