Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Jon Huntsman's Candidacy

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So, a contender for Romney?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...on-globe-endorsement-033009692--abc-news.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: John Huntsman's Candidacy

Huntsman has NO traction with the GOP, unfortunately. I really like him and would pull the lever for him if I knew him a bit better and continued to have positive feedback about him. Still, the two-party system acts as a gatekeeper for national candidates, and I don't see how he could possibly end up facing Obama. He is certainly not charismatic enough to mount a third-party candidacy.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3

I think you're right in your current assessment. But, to me anyway, Romney doesn't have any charisma either. So, I wonder why the corporate media seems to like Romney better than Huntsman.

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

Thanks for starting this thread Evo. Huntsman would seem to me to be a sort of ideal GOP candidate. But then, there's something about him that says to me that he's not presidential material. Maybe I'm just way off wrt that initial impression. Hopefully this thread will enable me to learn more about the guy.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know! They are both pretty plain Mormon guys without a lot of baggage (unless you count Romney's penchant for taking over companies and stripping them of value and firing the workers). There isn't a lot for GOP functionaries to bite into there, in order to differentiate them.

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6

Huntsman's a Mormon!? I didn't know that. See, I'm learning stuff from this thread.

I have nothing against Mormons, other than their religious beliefs which I consider idiotic. Huntsman just went down several notches in my respectability index.

The thing is, all the Mormons I know seem so ... normal ... that is if you don't count their 'Mormonism'.

8. Jan 7, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

He still might be a decent candidate. I'd rather vote for a Mormon than a radical evangelical. People had a lot of angst about voting for JFK, because of his presumed "fealty" to the Pope. I can't hold anybody's religious affiliation against them (at the polls) unless they are rabid enough to make me doubt their objectivity.

9. Jan 7, 2012 #8

From my personal experience, so would I.

I can, and do.

Ok, this is a good qualifier. The thing is, for me, if a candidate regularly and emphatically makes statements that are obviously based on his/her religious convictions, then that turn's me off wrt them.

Romney and Huntsman don't dwell on their religious affinities. That's a good thing, imo. However, the fact that they do identify with what I consider to be a strange religious cult is not a good thing, imo.

So, I wouldn't vote for either one -- no matter what sort of agendas they forwarded.

10. Jan 7, 2012 #9

I like Huntsman. Although I disagree with him on many issues, he's sane and has a lot of experience. He's also a very well-qualified candidate. As a former governor, he has executive branch experience, and as a former ambassador (to Singapore, and then to China), he has foreign policy experience.

I cannot figure out why he's being ignored by so much of the establishment. It isn't as if he is some pizza CEO with no political experience at all. He is every bit as qualified as Romney, and probably more qualified than Perry, both frontrunners or former frontrunners.

11. Jan 10, 2012 #10

Evo

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  12. Jan 10, 2012 #11

I really enjoyed this civil debate a few weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54P2djFx8U

13. Jan 10, 2012 #12

Evo

I'm not finding much on him that's firm. I read that he wants to change SS, he doesn't want to change SS. Anyone have a more fleshed out platform?

Thanks Greg, I'll watch it.

14. Jan 10, 2012 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This and more like it from: http://www.issues2000.org/Jon_Huntsman.htm (with similar pages for the other candidates)

15. Jan 10, 2012 #14

Astronuc

16. Jan 10, 2012 #15

The only moderate of the bunch, no wonder I like him!

17. Jan 10, 2012 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly.

I remember in one of the debates, he gave a really good, solid, well-reasoned, sane answer to one of the questions and you could just HEAR the "thud" with which it was received by the Republican audience. One of my relatives (an avid Republican) says Huntsman absolutely doesn't belong in the Republican pack because he is WAY too moderate.

Huntsman seems to me to be the best candidate they've got, but there is absolutely no way he'll get the nod from the Republicans.

18. Jan 10, 2012 #17

Evo

Moderate? Well, compared to the others, maybe, but not by my definition. I could never vote for him, too many things against basic rights for me. I guess this year you could say I am not leaning Republican.

19. Jan 10, 2012 #18

Please elaborate

20. Jan 10, 2012 #19

Evo

Women's right to abortion is number one. That is too important to me to waiver on. I was part of the movement that got abortions legalized. Abortions were still illegal when I was in college, and I know girls that got illegal abortions and what they suffered. Making abortions illegal doesn't stop abortions, it makes them dangerous, the rich will just send their daughters off to where they are legal and the rest will risk their lives. I researched the effects of illegal abortion when I was in school and I wrote a paper titled "A case for abortion in the United States", my professor asked me to sign a release because he wanted to use portions of it in a book he was writing. I am pro-choice and will only vote for someone trying to reverse that if there are other crucial things they are for that I feel would outweigh that danger. Most on here probably weren't alive when it was illegal and have no idea what it was like. Of course most men can't even relate, IMO.

The religious have nothing to fear from legal abortions, no one is going to force them to get an abortion, and they have no right to impose their views on others, IMO.

They talk about not funding abortions for the poor, so they would rather fund welfare for the mother and child? They would rather fund social services and foster care? Yeah, I'm riled up. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. IMO.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  21. Jan 10, 2012 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I was, and I know how bad the repercussions are (unplanned children at a young age, and worse, abortions that were somewhat less than sanitary). Luckily, by the time I was in later HS years, the pill was available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook