How does Jordan form connect to the kernel of a matrix?

• Thread starter JamesGoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, the lecturer has specified the values for a kernel of a square matrix minus the scalar product of the eigenvector and the identity matrix, where lambda is the eigenvalue and I is the identity matrix. The logical and mathematical connection between kernel(A - λI) and finding the equivalent Jordan block is that the dimension of the kernel for each eigenvalue is related to the number of blocks in the Jordan form. If the dimension of the kernel is equal to the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue, then the matrix can be diagonalized.
JamesGoh
For some of my homework exercises, the lecturer has specified the values for a kernel of a square matrix minus the scalar product of the eigenvector and the identity matrix.

Mathematically, I am given

kernel(A - λI) = some integer value where A is a nxn square matrix

lambda is the eigenvalue obtained from the characteristic polynomial

I is the identity matrix

My question is, what is the logical and mathematical connection between kernel(A - λI) and finding the equivalent jordan block ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The kernel of an operator (or matrix) is a vectorspace. The operator transforms the elements of the kernel to the null vector. For the Jordan form, the following dimensions should be known

dim kernel (A-λI)k,

where k=1...r and r is the algebraic multiplicity of λ.

For k=1,

dim kernel (A-λI)

gives the number of blocks of λ in the J form.

If and only if,

dim kernel (A-λI)=r

for all λ, then the matrix can be diagonalized, since each block is 1-dimensional.

1. What are Jordan blocks and how do they relate to kernels?

Jordan blocks are square matrices that have a particular structure. They have non-zero elements on the main diagonal, and either 1 or 0 on the subdiagonal. The rest of the elements are 0. Jordan blocks are closely related to the concept of kernels, as they represent the eigenvalues of a matrix and can help determine the dimension of the kernel or null space.

2. How are Jordan blocks used in linear algebra?

Jordan blocks are used in linear algebra to understand the properties of a matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. They are also useful in finding the minimal polynomial of a matrix and determining its diagonalizability.

3. Can Jordan blocks have different sizes?

Yes, Jordan blocks can have different sizes. They can range from 1x1 to nxn, where n is the size of the matrix. However, for a given matrix, all Jordan blocks will have the same size.

4. What is the significance of the Jordan canonical form?

The Jordan canonical form is a way of representing a matrix in a simpler form, making it easier to understand and analyze. It is useful in many applications, such as solving differential equations and finding matrix exponentials.

5. How do Jordan blocks relate to the concept of diagonalization?

Jordan blocks and diagonalization are closely related. A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has no Jordan blocks. In other words, a matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has a basis of eigenvectors. Jordan blocks can also be used to find the diagonalizing matrix for a given matrix.