Jordan Content/Measure Problem

• Thread starter asif zaidi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a constant function on a generalized interval and finding a subset where the function is not integrable. The solution involves proving that the boundary of a constant function has measure 0, but the issue arises when trying to find a subset that is not integrable. The conversation also delves into the definition of boundary and how it relates to the problem at hand. The ultimate goal is to show that the boundary of the subset does not have a Jordan measure of 0.
asif zaidi
Hello

We are doing Jordan content/measure and I think I understand it but I seem to be having problem the following h/w assignment.

Problem Statement:

Let I be a generalized interval and let f be the constant function 1. Find a subset D of I such that f (restricted to region D) is not integrable

Problem Solution

A function is integrable iff the boundary has Jordan content 0. I can prove that the boundary of a constant function has measure 0.

So I cannot see where this function is non-integrable.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Asif

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
asif zaidi said:
Hello

We are doing Jordan content/measure and I think I understand it but I seem to be having problem the following h/w assignment.

Problem Statement:

Let I be a generalized interval and let f be the constant function 1. Find a subset D of I such that f (restricted to region D) is not integrable

Problem Solution

A function is integrable iff the boundary has Jordan content 0. I can prove that the boundary of a constant function has measure 0.

So I cannot see where this function is non-integrable.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Asif

The Attempt at a Solution

Try some really complicated subset: like, for example, the set of all irrational numbers in that interval. What is its boundary? What is the measure of that boundary?

For irrational sets: the Jordan measure is 0. What I cannot tell is the boundary.

That is my problem with the assignment also - I thought that for an integral to exist it had to be bounded. But the problem doesn't specify it. It says simply over the generalized interval.

Does this mean that since bounds are not specified then the constant function cannot be integrable even if the Jordan measure is 0.

Thanks

Asif

The jordan measure of the irrationals inside the interval [0,1] is not 0. In fact it doesn't exist, that being what you're supposed to prove.

What is you're definition of boundary?

The closure less the interior?
THe closure intersection with the closure of the complement?
Something else?

By closure I have understood to mean the boundary point where the function values cannot be made arbitrarily close. It is at these points that I looked at the constant function 1 and showed the Jordan content to be 0.

But I cannot find where the subsets are not integrable.

I suggest you review all of the definitions of all of the terms involved; I don't understand what you've claimed is your definition of the boundary. Your definition seems to imply that the boundary of any set is a single point.

It is immediate from the definitions that the boundary of the irrationals inside the interval [0,1] is not of jordan content 0.

Aside: there's no need to send me PMs about questions that are being dealt with in threads.

If you don't know the definition of boundary then you can't do any of these questions.

The boundary of a set S is defined to be (amongst other equivalent things), the closure of S less the interior of S.

If S is Qn[0,1], ie the rational numbers in the interval [0,1], what is the closure of S? What is the interior of S?

The aim is *not* to show that S hasn't got Jordan measure 0 (in fact, it doesn't have a Jordan measure - that is the aim), but to show that the boundary of S doesn't have Jordan measure 0.

What is the Jordan Content/Measure Problem?

The Jordan Content/Measure Problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining the size or amount of a set or collection. It was first introduced by mathematician Palle Jorgensen and is named after the Jordan content/measure, which is a way to measure the size of a set in higher dimensions.

What makes the Jordan Content/Measure Problem unique?

The Jordan Content/Measure Problem is unique because it deals with measuring the size of sets in higher dimensions, which can be difficult to conceptualize and calculate. It also has implications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of the Jordan Content/Measure Problem?

The Jordan Content/Measure Problem has applications in various fields such as physics, where it is used to measure the size of physical objects in multiple dimensions. It is also used in engineering to calculate the volume of complex shapes and in economics to measure the size of economic sets.

What are some challenges associated with the Jordan Content/Measure Problem?

One of the main challenges associated with the Jordan Content/Measure Problem is that it can be difficult to visualize and calculate the size of sets in higher dimensions. It also requires advanced mathematical techniques and tools to solve, which can be daunting for some researchers and scientists.

What are some potential solutions to the Jordan Content/Measure Problem?

There are various approaches to solving the Jordan Content/Measure Problem, including using advanced mathematical techniques such as measure theory and geometric measure theory. Additionally, computer simulations and modeling can also be used to estimate the size of sets in higher dimensions.