1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan Decomposition

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find a Jordan decomposition for:
    [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
    2 & 0 & 1 & 2 \\
    -1 & 3 & 0 & -1 \\
    2 & -2 & 4 & 6 \\
    -1 & 1 & -1 & -1 \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the eigenvalues: 2 (m=4).
    I also found the eigenvectors:
    [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{c}1 & 1 & 0 & 0\end{array} \right)\]\[ \left( \begin{array}{c}-1 & 0 & -2 & 1\end{array} \right)\][/tex]
    But then I see that (A-2I)2 = 0.
    So how do I continue?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If 2 is an eigenvalue of multiplicity 4, then (A- 2I)4= 0. There must exist v such that (A- 2I)v= 0 which is the same as Av= 2v: v is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 2. You say you have found two independent eigenvectors, v1 and v2. But since the multiplicity is 4, there must now exist a vector v such that (A- 2I)v is NOT 0 but (A- 2I)3v= 0. But (A- 2I)3v= (A-2I)3(A- 2I)v= 0. Since (A- 2I)v1= 0 and (A- 2I)v2= 0m that is the same (A- 2I)3v= v1 or (A- 2I)3v= v2[/sup]. If only one of those has a solution, say v3, then there must be a solution to (A- 2I)2v= v3[/sup].
    If the first is the case, the Jordan Normal Form is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If the second is the case, the Jordan Normal Form is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?