1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan form of f^​2 and f^​3 knowing that m. polynomial of f is x^​7

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    The problem statement
    Let V be a vector space of dimension 8 and f (endomorphism) such that the minimal polynomial of f is x^​7. If B={v1,...,v8} is the Jordan basis of f, find the Jordan form and a Jordan basis for f^​2 and f^​3.

The attempt at a solution

Ok, I am having some trouble to solve this. My ideas are:

The minimal of f is x^​7, then f is nilpotent of index 7. The only eigenvalue of the Jordan form is 0 and the multiplicity of 0 as a root of the minimal tells me the biggest size of the jordan blocks, in this case is a 7x7 block. As the Jordan matrix is an 8x8 matrix, then, it can only have a 7x7 block and a 1x1 block. Now, if the minimal of f is x^​7, then the minimal of f^​2 and of f^​3 have to be x^​4 and x^​3 respectively. So, the biggest blocks in f^​2 and f^​3 are of size 4x4 and 3x3 respectively.

Now, I don't know how to get more information about the blocks of each Jordan form and I don't have a clue about the Jordan basis. I would appreciate any help. And sorry if I made any grammar or expression mistakes, english is not my native language. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?