Jordan Normal Form Problem

In summary, the Jordan normal form problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to a given square matrix. It is important because it simplifies complex matrices, provides insights into matrix structure, and has many applications in various fields. The Jordan normal form is calculated by finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and it has applications in quantum mechanics, control theory, and other areas. However, it only applies to square matrices, may not exist for all matrices, and has some limitations compared to other forms such as the Schur form.
springo

Homework Statement

f, g endomorphisms on R3.
f non-diagonalizable and g injective.
h = g o f
dim h-1 { (0,0,0) } = 2
f(1,0,1) = f(1,1,2)
f(1,1,-1) = (1,-1,0)

I have to find:
a.- J, Jordan normal form of f
b.- A, canonical basis matrix for f and transition matrix P (J = P-1AP)
c.- inverse of (A20 + I)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.- dim Ker h = 2 with g injective so dim Ker f = 2.
Therefore 0 is an eigenvalue with multiplicity 2.
I don't know how to find the other eigenvalue.
(I mean without using A, which is found in the next question)

b.- dim Ker f = 2 so dim I am f = 1
f(1,1,-1) = (1,-1,0)
Therefore: I am f = L { (1,-1,0) }
f(1,0,1) - f(1,1,2) = f(0,-1,-1) = (0,0,0)
Therefore Ker f = L { (1,0,-1) (0,1,1) }
(I thought any vector that's linearly independent with (0,1,1) would be OK)
f(1,1,-1) - f (1,0,-1) = f(0,1,0) = (1,-1,0)
f(0,1,1) - f(0,1,0) = f(0,0,1) = (-1,1,0)
f(1,0,-1) + f(0,0,1) = f(1,0,0) = (-1,1,0)
Therefore:
[tex]A=\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
-1 & 1 & -1 \\
1 & -1 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]
But this can't be OK, because then dim Ker A2 = 2 and then 0's multiplicity would be 1.

c.- I suppose it's done using the Caley-Hamilton theorem once I have the eigenvalues, which I don't...

Physics news on Phys.org

a.- To find the Jordan normal form of f, you need to find the eigenvalues of f and their corresponding eigenvectors. Since you know that 0 is an eigenvalue with multiplicity 2, you can use the characteristic polynomial to find the other eigenvalues. The characteristic polynomial is given by det(f-λI) = 0, where λ is the eigenvalue and I is the identity matrix. So in this case, you would have det(f-λI) = (λ-0)^2 = λ^2 = 0. This means that the only other eigenvalue is 0, with multiplicity 2. Therefore, the Jordan normal form of f would be \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)\]

b.- To find the canonical basis matrix for f, you can use the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalues you found in part a. In this case, since 0 is the only eigenvalue, the canonical basis matrix would be the zero matrix. As for the transition matrix P, you can use the eigenvectors as columns to form P. So in this case, P would be \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)\]

c.- To find the inverse of (A20 + I), you can use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic polynomial. In this case, the characteristic polynomial is (λ-0)^2 = λ^2 = 0. So (A20 + I)^2 = (0)^2 + I = I. Therefore, the inverse of (A20 + I) is (A20 + I)^-1 = I.

1. What is the Jordan normal form problem?

The Jordan normal form problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to a given square matrix. It is an important problem in linear algebra and has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is the Jordan normal form important?

The Jordan normal form is important because it allows us to simplify complex matrices into a diagonal form, which is much easier to work with. It also provides insights into the structure of a matrix and helps in solving systems of linear equations and studying linear transformations.

3. How is the Jordan normal form calculated?

The Jordan normal form is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the given matrix. The eigenvectors are then used to construct a diagonal matrix, with the eigenvalues on the diagonal. If there are repeated eigenvalues, the Jordan blocks are used to fill in the diagonal matrix.

4. What are the applications of the Jordan normal form?

The Jordan normal form has many applications in different fields, such as in quantum mechanics, control theory, and signal processing. It can also be used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze Markov chains, and study the stability of dynamical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Jordan normal form?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Jordan normal form, such as it can only be applied to square matrices and may not exist for all matrices. It also does not take into account the multiplicities of the eigenvalues and may not be unique for a given matrix. In some cases, other forms such as the Schur form may be more useful.