1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan normal form problem

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Jordan normal form of:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    -2 & 3 & 1\\
    0 & -4 & -1\\
    1 & 2 & -3
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the eigenvalues: -3 (x3)
    I found a single eigenvector: [ 2 , -1 , 1 ]
    But now I thought of finding the nullspaces of (M + 3I)2 and (M + 3I)3 (where is the matrix we're studying) but they're empty.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've already shown that the nullspace of (M+3I) is not empty since you have an eigenvalue of -3. Then how can the nullspaces of (M+3I)^2 and (M+3I)^3 be empty?? That would be silly. In fact, (M+3I)^3=0 since it satisfies it's characteristic polynomial. I suggest you try that calculation again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Jan 3, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since -3 is a triple root, the characteristic equation must be (M+ 3)^3= 0. And, since every matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation, (M+ 3I)^3v= 0 for every vector v.
    There must exist vectors, u, such that Mu= 3u and you have found one. Since the eigenvectors do not span the space, there must exist vectors, v, such that Mv is NOT 0 but [itex](M+ 3I)^2 u= 0[/itex]. Since (M+3I)0= 0 certainly, look for a vector such that (M+ 3I)v= [2, -1, 1]. Then you will have [itex](M+ 3I)^2v= (M+ 3I)[2, -1, 1]= 0[/itex]. Once you have found that v, look for w such that [itex](M+ 3I)w= v[/itex].

5. Jan 3, 2010 #4
    Thanks for your replies!

Oh, this is bad. I was using Mathematica for my calculations, it turns out using 2 doesn't do a real matrix multiplication, it does a dot product or something similar. My bad...

Now I took as eigenvectors:
    - (M + 3I)2 : [ 1 , 0 , 1 ]
    - (M + 3I)3 : [ 0 , 0 , 1 ]
    So that:
    [tex]P=\begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 1 & 0\\
    -1 & 0 & 0\\
    1 & 1 & 1
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But doing P·J·P-1 ≠ M
    However taking [ 1 , 0 , 0 ] instead of [ 0 , 0 , 1 ] works, why is that?

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5
    Bump for help! :)

7. Jan 6, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really not sure what your are doing. What's J? (M+3I)=0. Anything is an eigenvector of that.

8. Jan 8, 2010 #7
    J is the Jordan normal form of M and P is the matrix so that P·J·P-1 = M.

9. Jan 8, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

it's not clear to me how you got [0, 0, 1]. As I said before, you want a "v" such that [tex](M+3i)^2v= [2, -1, 1][/tex]. That means you have to solve
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
    That gives the equations x+ 3y+ z= 2 -y- z= -1, and x+ 2y= 1. The second equation is the same as z= -y+ 1 and the third is the same a x= -2y+ 1. Taking y= 0 would give v= (1, 0, 1) as you have.

Now look for u such that (M+ 3I)u= v which means you must have
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
    That gives the equations x+ 3y+ z= 1, -y-z= 0. and x+ 2y= 1. The second equation is the same as z= -y and the third equation x= -2y+1. Then the first equation is satisfied for all y. If you take y= 0, you get [1, 0, 1] the same as before, but if you take y= 1, you get u= [-1, 1, -1].

Let P be the matrix having those vectors as columns,
    [tex]P= \begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & -1 \\ -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and you will find that
    [tex]P^{-1}AP= \begin{bmatrix}-3 & 1 & 0 \\0 & -3 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

10. Jan 8, 2010 #9
    The thing is I was taking for the first column of P, an eigenvector of M. For the second one, a vector that is the nullspace of (M+3I)2 but is not an eigenvector of M. For the third one, a vector that is in the nullspace of (M+3I)3 (which is R3) but not in the eigenspace of (M+3I)2. Isn't that a right thing to do?
    I mean: (M+3I)3 = 0 so (M+3I)3·[ 0 , 0 , 1 ] = 0.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook