1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan Normal Form

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    1. If given a matrix in JNF, what would be its basis? How would you calculate it?
    If you put the basis vectors (of JNF) as columns in matrix P than
    P=(T^-1)PA, T and A are given.

where T is the original matrix and A is T in JNF. But I cannot explicitly calculate P since it is on both sides. How do I find P?

2. If the minimal polynomial is given as (x+2)(x-4)=0, and the -2 eigenvalue results in a 0 dimensional null space (i.e. (0,0,0) vector) what would the JNF look like given the null space of eigenvalue 4 is 2 dimensional. And the original matrix is 3 by 3.

Would it be
    diag(0,4,4)?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the question does not quite make sensfinding P is a bit of work and hard to say briefly.

i can say it briefly but it won't help you that much.

4. Nov 20, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

briefly, to find a jordan basis for a map T with minimalpolynomial (X-a)^r, find a basis for ker(T-a)^r/ker(T-a)^(r-1), extend to basis of ker(T-a)^(r-1)/ker(T-a)^(r-2),.....

see what I mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?