1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan normal form

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Hi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f:\:\mathbb{Z}_{5}^{3}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{5}^{3}[/itex] be a linear operator and let [itex][f]_{e_{3}}^{e_{3}}=A=\begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 & 4\\
    3 & 0 & 2\\
    4 & 4 & 3
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}[/itex].
    Find a basis B of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}^{3}[/itex] such that [itex][f]_{B}^{B}=\begin{pmatrix}2 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 2 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 2
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found out that the characteristic polynomial of [itex]f[/itex] is [itex]-(\lambda-2)^{3}[/itex] and that there are two linearly indenpendent vectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda =2[/itex].
    These vectors are [itex]v_{1}=\begin{pmatrix}1\\
    0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]v_{3}=\begin{pmatrix}4\\
    1\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

Now, let [itex]B=\left(v_{1},\: v_{2},\: v_{3}\right)[/itex].
    We have [itex]f(v_{1})=2\cdot v_{1}[/itex] and [itex]f(v_{3})=2\cdot v_{3}[/itex] as desired.
    We want [itex]v_{2}[/itex] to satisfy the equation [itex]Av_{2}=f(v_{2})=v_{1}+2v_{2}[/itex], which we can rewrite as [itex](A-2I_{3})v_{2}=v_{1}[/itex].
    However, this is the point I got stuck on.
    This equation doesn't have a solution... Why?
    I was hopping somebody could tell me what I was doing wrong because I've spent a few hours trying to figure out what's wrong...

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to find a third basis vector. What you need is a "generalized eigen vector". The characteristic equation for this matrix is [itex](\lambda- 2)^3= 0[/itex] and every matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation- that is, [itex](A- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex] for every vector v in the vector space. But you were not able to find three indepedent vectors such that (A- 2I)v= 0. That means there must exist a one dimensional space of vectors, v, for which (A- 2I)v is not equal to 0 but [itex](A- 2I)^2v= (A- 2I)[(A- 2I)v]= 0[/itex]. And that means that (A- 2I)v must be an eigenvector. A "generalized eigenvector" must satisfy either (A- 2I)v= <1, 0, 1> or (A- 2I)v= <4, 1, 0>. Try to solve those equations.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    I tried to solve those equations before I asked here but neither of them has a solution over [itex]\mathbb Z_{5}[/itex]
    That's the reason why I'm so puzzled.:-/

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4
    I've double-checked my attempt at solution but I didn't find any mistakes.
    Now, I'm really desperate.:confused:

I was hopping somebody could tell me what I was doing wrong.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted