Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Josephson effect

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am confused about josephson effect. Take SNS for example. If the phase of these two superconductors are different, then there will be a josephson current through the junction. Experimentally, do we measure the current by attach two ends of SNS with a wire? If there is no wire attached to these two ends, will there be a current flowing through the junction? In other words, will there be a self-generated current in it without a loop?

Thanks for you help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you measure it by passing a current through the junction and then measuring the voltage across it.

And no, there won't be "self generated" current.
    The only time you would get a current through a junction not connected by a wire is if it is part of a loop that is being threaded by a changing flux (i.e. an RF- SQUID).

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply. Now I am confused about your statement "measure it by passing a current through the junction and then measuring the voltage across it." It means we have to pass a current through the junction, otherwise there will be no current? Is it correct. Thanks.

5. Sep 17, 2011 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the current-voltage characheristics of JJs are measured in exactly the same way as for example semiconductor diods; you use current source to bias it and then a voltmeter to measure the voltage across it (you can do it the other way aorund, using a voltage source and an ammeter; but this is quite tricky since the impedance of the junction is practically zero when you are on the supercurrent branch).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook