1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joule Coefficient at Constant U

1. Jun 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using basic thermodynamic relations, show that the Joule Coefficient is given by:
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{T^2 \over C _v}{\partial \over \partial T} \left(P \over T \right)_V [/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with the cyclic thermodynamic relation:
    [tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U \left( \partial V \over \partial U \right)_T \left (\partial U \over \partial T \right)_V}=-1 [/tex]
    Rearranging the equation:
    [tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-\left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V} [/tex]
    Knowing that: [itex] C_V= \left( \partial U \over \partial T \right)_V [/itex] → [itex] {1 \over C_V}= \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V [/itex] I get:
    [tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-{1 \over C_V} \left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T} [/tex]
    And from there I don't know how to continue.
    I hope someone here can help me, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2014 #2
    You need to get (∂U/∂V)T. Start out with

dU = TdS-PdV

so

[tex]dU=T\left(\left(\frac{∂S}{∂T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_TdV\right)-PdV=C_vdT+\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]
    So,
    [tex]\left(\frac{∂U}{∂V}\right)_T=\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]

Now, you need to make use of an appropriate Maxwell relation to get the partial of S with respect to V at constant T.

Chet

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your answer Chet, I used [tex] {\left( \partial S \over \partial V \right)_T}= {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V} [/tex]

But now I'm stuck here: [itex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{1 \over C_V}{\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV} [/itex]

I suppose that somehow [tex] {\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV}={T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)} [/tex] But I don't know how to get there.

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Note that there is a typo in Chet's post, such that there is no ##dV## here.

Correcting, you have to show that
    [tex] \left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right] = T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)_V [/tex]
    Just apply the product rule on the right-hand-side.

6. Jun 12, 2014 #5
    Thanks for spotting that typo Dr. C.

Chet

7. Jun 12, 2014 #6
    Thanks a lot, DrClaude and Chet your answers were of great help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted