How to Solve for Joule-Coefficient in a Gas System?

• Thread starter krootox217
  • Start date
In summary: Hi, Please excuse my manners. Welcome to Physics Forums!In summary, the coeficient is in the upper case 0 and in the lower case -a/(Vm)^2 and therefore these are the final results.
krootox217

Homework Statement

I have the following task:
U0ctjpj.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already managed to do a), but how do I solve b) ? What is this Joule-Coefficient and how can I calculate this for the two different kinds of gases without any given values?

Physics news on Phys.org
krootox217 said:

Homework Statement

I have the following task:
U0ctjpj.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already managed to do a), but how do I solve b) ? What is this Joule-Coefficient and how can I calculate this for the two different kinds of gases without any given values?
The equation for the Joule-Coefficient is given in the problem statement. Are you asking what it means physically?

As far as the two different kinds of gases are concerned, you are supposed to do it algebraically. For an ideal gas, I assume you know PV=nRT. Do you know the P-V-T equation for the van der Waals approximation to real gas behavior?

Chet

Hi,

Does this mean, that I have to do it like this:

rCjDah4.png

And now just simplify?

krootox217 said:
And now just simplify?
Yes.

Thanks a lot!

Is this already the result, or can I simplify it even more?

ZmQeBtN.png

krootox217 said:
Thanks a lot!

Is this already the result, or can I simplify it even more?

ZmQeBtN.png
If pV=nRT, what is pV-nRT equal to?

If ##p=\frac{RT}{V_m-b}-\frac{a}{V_m^2}##, what is ##p-\frac{RT}{V_m-b}## equal to?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If pV=nRT, what is pV-nRT equal to

Chestermiller said:
If p=RTVmbaV2mp=\frac{RT}{V_m-b}-\frac{a}{V_m^2}, what is pRTVmbp-\frac{RT}{V_m-b} equal to?

-a/(Vm)^2

And this means the coeficient is in the upper case 0 and in the lower case -a/(Vm)^2 and therefore these are the final results?

krootox217 said:

-a/(Vm)^2

And this means the coeficient is in the upper case 0 and in the lower case -a/(Vm)^2 and therefore these are the final results?
Yes, but don't forget to divide by Cv.

Oh I nearly forgot, thank you!

This means it is in the first case still 0 and in the second case -a/((Vm)^2*Cv)

Likes Chestermiller
Btw. I'm new here. Is there a possibility to give a plus point or something like that for your help?

krootox217 said:
Btw. I'm new here. Is there a possibility to give a plus point or something like that for your help?
Please excuse my manners. Welcome to Physics Forums!

If you want to thank someone for their help, click Like at the bottom of their post.

Chet

Likes krootox217

What is the Joule-Coefficient Task?

The Joule-Coefficient Task is an experimental task used in cognitive psychology to measure a person's cognitive abilities, specifically their working memory capacity. The task involves a series of memory recall and recognition tasks that require the participant to remember and manipulate information in their working memory.

How is the Joule-Coefficient Task conducted?

The task typically involves presenting a list of items, such as numbers or words, to the participant and then asking them to recall or recognize specific items from the list. The difficulty of the task can be manipulated by varying the length or complexity of the list, as well as the time given for recall or recognition.

What is the purpose of the Joule-Coefficient Task?

The purpose of the task is to measure a person's working memory capacity, which is an important cognitive ability that is linked to various aspects of intelligence and cognitive performance. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of different memory strategies and techniques.

What are the potential limitations of the Joule-Coefficient Task?

One potential limitation of the task is that it only measures a specific aspect of cognitive ability (working memory capacity) and may not fully capture a person's overall intelligence or cognitive skills. Additionally, the task may be influenced by factors such as motivation, attention, and prior experience with similar tasks.

How is the data from the Joule-Coefficient Task analyzed?

The data from the task is typically analyzed by calculating the percentage of correct responses, as well as the response times for each item. This data can then be compared to normative data or used to assess individual differences in working memory capacity. Statistical analyses, such as correlation or regression, may also be used to examine the relationship between working memory capacity and other variables.