Solving Joule Machine Problem [SOLVED] joule machine

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Joule's apparatus and the calculation of the increase in temperature of water after two blocks fall through a distance of 3.00m. The solution involves using the conservation of energy and the equation Q = mcΔT, with the mass of both blocks and the specific heat of water as key factors. The final answer is approximately 0.105 degrees Celsius.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] joule machine..

Homework Statement

In joule's apparatus below, the mass of each block is 1.50kg, and the insulated tank is filled with 200g of water. What is the increase in the emperature of he water after the bocks fall through a distance of 3.00m?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5377/34746360en6.th.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta U_{total}= W_{total} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hm...not quite sure. I would think that I need to find the calories but I'm not sure how to find that either.

I know that the work done would = potential energy from when the blocks drop the 3m but to find the change in temperature would I use this equation ([tex]Q= C\Delta T[/tex] and equate the the Q to the [tex] \Delta U[/tex] )?

I know:
h= 3.00m
m= 1.50kg
g= 9.8m/s

mass of water= 2.00g=> 0.002kg
help please..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy

The change in gravitational potential energy equals the heat gained by the water.

mike115 said:
Try conservation of energy

The change in gravitational potential energy equals the heat gained by the water.

so would it be:

[tex]mgh= mc\Delta T[/tex] ?

Yes. The first m should be the mass of both blocks since they both fall through that distance.

mike115 said:
Yes. The first m should be the mass of both blocks since they both fall through that distance.

so it's 2mgh

~christina~ said:
so it's 2mgh

if you want m to be 1.5 kg, then yes

mike115 said:
if you want m to be 1.5 kg, then yes

okay I found the temp change to be 10.54 deg C
so that sounds alright to me.

Thanks for your help mike :smile:

Hmm, are you sure that your units are consistent on both sides?

The specific heat of water is approximately 4.18 J/(g*C) which is equal to 4,180 J/(kg*C).

The temperature change that I get is about 0.105 degrees C.

mike115 said:
Hmm, are you sure that your units are consistent on both sides?

The specific heat of water is approximately 4.18 J/(g*C) which is equal to 4,180 J/(kg*C).

The temperature change that I get is about 0.105 degrees C.

uh oh..I thought that it was 2g of water. That is what was wrong with it.

I get the same thing after I finish correcting.

Thank you for catching that :redface:

What is a Joule Machine?

A Joule Machine is a physical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is typically made up of a motor, a generator, and various other components.

What is the purpose of solving Joule Machine problems?

The purpose of solving Joule Machine problems is to determine the efficiency and performance of the machine. This can help in improving its design and identifying any potential issues.

What are the common problems encountered when working with Joule Machines?

Some common problems with Joule Machines include mechanical failures, electrical malfunctions, and energy losses. These can be caused by various factors such as wear and tear, incorrect wiring, and improper maintenance.

How do you solve a Joule Machine problem?

The first step in solving a Joule Machine problem is to identify the issue and understand its cause. This can involve conducting tests and measurements to determine the efficiency and performance of the machine. Once the problem is identified, it can be addressed through repairs, maintenance, or redesigning the machine.

What skills are needed to effectively solve Joule Machine problems?

To effectively solve Joule Machine problems, one needs to have a strong understanding of electrical and mechanical principles, as well as knowledge of the specific components and functions of the machine. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills are also important for identifying and resolving issues.