1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joule Thompson Effect

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    Hey all, I'm not sure this is a homework problem, more a problem I'm having with equations and this effect.

Experimentally we measured dT and dp, I plotted them, then determined the Joule Thompson coefficients for 3 gases (He, CO2, N2). These values came out to be

μJT(CO2) = .815 bar/K
    μJT(N2) = .1319 bar/K
    μJT(He) = -.0949 bar/K

which seemed reasonable enough to me.

Now, I need to calculate theoretical values using various equations of state. I began with van der Waals, and got

μJT = 1/Cp((2a/RT)-b)

I thought this would be simple, just looking up the Cp, and using known van der Waals coefficients, but my calculation for CO2 comes out to be something like -4 or so, so something is wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. Also, I could not find anywhere theoretical μJT values, which I am supposed to put in my lab report.

Thanks for any tips!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted