Searching for Joule Thomson and Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Methane

In summary, there is a discussion about finding the Joule Thomson coefficient value for methane, with suggestions to use the volume, temperature, and specific heat, as well as the coefficient of thermal expansion for methane. Some helpful online references are provided, including the NIST Database and a tool that uses Van der Waals and Beattie-Bridgeman constants. Some differences in results are noted, but it is recommended to use direct experimental data from databases for more precise values. The J-T coefficient for methane is stated to be 4.38 K/MPa.
boka33
I've been scouring the web in search of a Joule Thomson coefficient value for methane, but so far no luck.

I have the volume, temperature, and specific heat as well... so I could also use the coefficient of thermal expansion for methane.. but I can't find that anywhere either!

Does anyone know of a good online reference?

Thanka alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
For future reference, I did figure out that you can calculate the Joule-Thomson coefficient using Van der Waals constants.

Another option uses Beattie-Bridgeman constants.

So I was able to figure it out from those known values.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't see how to find the Joule-Thomson coefficient.

1. You open the page: Thermophysical Properties of Fluid Systems.
2. On this page you select Methane instead of Water, select needed for you units of measurement, and select the form of database, for example, Isothermal. Then you press to continue.
3.On the page Isothermal Properties for Methane you select temperature, for example, 300; select minimal, maximal pressure and increment, for example: 0 2 0.01
Do not forget to clean the box N3 with Java
4. Press for data
5. On the next page you will see a table with many properties, including JTC
6. To change the form and ranges of data you return back.

I wish you good luck

Thank you!

Nice to know about this tool, very useful,

I used:

http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/~ayers/chem2PA3/labs/2PA36.pdf"

Equation (14)

My results are slightly different, but the process in question is not isothermal, isobaric, or isochoric, the constant is enthalpy since it is effectively a throttling process.

I'm not sure how to apply this to the tool you posted, but it is definitely very cool. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Equation (14 ) follows from the van der Waals equation, that is good for overall picture, but is not precise in details. The Joule-Thomson coefficient is very sensitive to parameters of the intermolecular forces. Therefore, it is better to use direct experimental data, generalized in databases, like the NIST Database.

I've found in my book the J-T coefficient of Methane to be 4.38 K/MPa

What is the purpose of searching for Joule Thomson and Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Methane?

The purpose of this search is to understand the behavior of methane under different temperature and pressure conditions. This information is important for various industrial and scientific applications such as natural gas processing, refrigeration, and fuel combustion.

What is the Joule Thomson effect?

The Joule Thomson effect is the change in temperature of a gas when it undergoes a throttling process, where it expands through a small opening without doing any work. This effect is also known as the Joule-Kelvin effect and is influenced by the intermolecular forces and molecular structure of the gas.

What is the Thermal Expansion Coefficient?

The Thermal Expansion Coefficient is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts with changes in temperature. It is defined as the fractional change in length or volume per degree of temperature change. In the case of methane, it is the change in volume per degree of temperature change.

How are the Joule Thomson Coefficient and Thermal Expansion Coefficient of Methane related?

The Joule Thomson Coefficient and Thermal Expansion Coefficient of methane are related because both parameters are influenced by the intermolecular forces and molecular structure of the gas. They also both provide important information about the behavior of methane under different temperature and pressure conditions.

What methods are used to determine the Joule Thomson and Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Methane?

The most common methods used to determine these coefficients are experimental measurements, such as the Joule Thomson experiment, and theoretical calculations, such as molecular simulations. Both methods provide valuable insights into the behavior of methane and are often used in combination to obtain accurate results.