Converting Joules to Quanta: Assistance Needed

In summary,-A radio station is emitting radiation at a frequency of 103.7 Mhz-To convert this energy to quanta, 200,000 Joules a second need to be converted-Planck's Constant is necessary to calculate this amount
Jacob87411
Hey I am in need of some assistance. In a problem I need to transfer Joules to quanta but am unsure on how to do it. A radio station is going at 200 KW with a frequency of 103.7 MhZ. So 200,000 Joules a second need to be converted to quanta. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacob87411 said:
Hey I am in need of some assistance. In a problem I need to transfer Joules to quanta but am unsure on how to do it. A radio station is going at 200 KW with a frequency of 103.7 MhZ. So 200,000 Joules a second need to be converted to quanta. Thanks in advance!
You want to find the number of photons (radio frequency ones) emitted per second.

Start with [tex]E_{photon} = h\nu[/tex]

The total energy in one second is equal to the sum of the energies of all the photons emitted in one second. I think you can work the rest out.

AM

Is the E=hv the sum of the energy for all the photons?

Jacob87411 said:
Is the E=hv the sum of the energy for all the photons?
No. This equation will give you the energy that is released in one photon.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ah and then the total energy has to be equal to the 200 KW..but what is the speed on the photon? C?

Jacob87411 said:
Ah and then the total energy has to be equal to the 200 KW..but what is the speed on the photon? C?
You do not need the speed. You need Planck's Constant.

The Bob (2004 ©)

E=HV, yeah nevermind, meant F..thanks this one makes sense now

Jacob87411 said:
E=HV, yeah nevermind, meant F..thanks this one makes sense now
So how many photons are produced in one second?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
So how many photons are produced in one second?
Personally I get a rather large number (which is too be expected) but should it be this (2.9 x 1030 photons) big?

The Bob (2004 ©)

I got a huge number as well..It is large but I expected it to be of such size

Jacob87411 said:
I got a huge number as well..It is large but I expected it to be of such size
Was it the same as my number?

The Bob (2004 ©)

You didnt give a number :)

Jacob87411 said:
You didnt give a number :)
It was in white.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Personally I get a rather large number (which is too be expected) but should it be this (2.9 x 1030 photons) big?
It is that big. At 1000 km, the intensity would be about 2 x 10^17 photons/m^2 per second. And that is just a measly radio antenna. You can see why a quasar can still provide detectable radio signals on Earth despite being billions of light years away.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
It is that big. At 1000 km, the intensity would be about 2 x 10^17 photons/m^2 per second. And that is just a measly radio antenna. You can see why a quasar can still provide detectable radio signals on Earth despite being billions of light years away.
You can. So much for telescopes that can detect a few photons of light, use radar discs. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. How do I convert Joules to Quanta?

To convert Joules to Quanta, you can use the formula E = h*c/λ, where E is energy in Joules, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength in meters.

2. What is the relationship between Joules and Quanta?

Joules and Quanta are both units used to measure energy. Quanta is a unit specific to quantum mechanics, while Joules is a more general unit used in classical physics. One Joule is equal to 6.242×10^18 Quanta.

3. Can I convert Quanta to Joules?

Yes, you can convert Quanta to Joules using the same formula as converting Joules to Quanta. Simply rearrange the formula to solve for E (energy in Joules).

4. What does the conversion from Joules to Quanta represent?

The conversion from Joules to Quanta represents the relationship between energy and electromagnetic radiation. It shows how energy is quantized and can only exist in discrete amounts, as described by the quantum theory.

5. Why do we need to convert between Joules and Quanta?

Converting between Joules and Quanta allows us to understand and analyze energy at the quantum level. It helps us to better understand the behavior of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation, and is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.