1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joules to calories

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1 calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celcius, i.e., the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/g-°C. How many joules is 1 calorie?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU = nαkΔT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use equipartition to solve this problem.
    α of water should be 6*1/2 = 3.
    1 gram of water should have 6.02*10^23 * 1/18 = 3.34 * 10^22 molecules
    So to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1° C or K, I obtained 3.34*10^22*3*1.38*10^-23*1 = 1.38 J.

However, it is well established that 4.184 J = 1 calorie. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Water behaves peculiarly when heated. It is because of its hydrogen bonds. The molecules not only vibrate around their equilibrium positions, but the hydrogen bonds also perform different coupled vibrations. These vibrations are excited more and more between zero and 100 °C. Water has much more degrees of freedom as 6 per molecule. The bonds can also break at higher temperatures, and that also consumes energy. All these result in heat capacity considerably larger than expected.

ehild

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Interesting. I guess I'll learn more about that later in the course. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted