1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Journal Access, etc.

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    Having recently lost access to my old universities online library and thus access to all of the journals that the college is subscribed to i am now seeking other means of accessing recent papers. Doing a bit of searching didn't turn up much unfortunately and as such i started thinking of what would be the perfect solution and was curious if something like it existed! I am not looking to cheat the system and get these papers free I would just like a more economical means than having to buy every paper that looks interesting at 20 a pop. arXiv is great but unfortunately i can't find a lot of things on there that i want to read.

Because I look at several different topics and read a lot of papers I was curious if there was a service similar to a Universities where you can purchase access to a bunch of different journals for a set fee per month or something of the sort. Basically an open version of Academic Search Premier or something. I can even imagine a fee based system where you get to view X amount of papers per month or something, /shrug.

Random other question: Are scientific papers similar to published books in that they aren't part of the public domain until the death of the author + 70 years? (or whatever it is exactly). I was surprised by the fact that even most papers from the early 1900 are still behind the closed doors of journals and not open to everyone:(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2
    A lot of professional societies provide access to the journals they publish (ex: ACM, IEEE), so if you're looking for those types of papers you may want to join a society. I also found that a few societies offer subsidized jstor subscriptions if you're a member.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook