Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions

• Thread starter Lambduh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary, the speaker has lost access to their university's online library and is seeking other ways to access recent papers. They have searched but have not found much and are looking for a more economical solution than buying individual papers. They are wondering if there is a service similar to a university where they can pay a monthly fee for access to various journals. They also have a question about the availability of scientific papers and are surprised that many are not in the public domain.
Lambduh
Having recently lost access to my old universities online library and thus access to all of the journals that the college is subscribed to i am now seeking other means of accessing recent papers. Doing a bit of searching didn't turn up much unfortunately and as such i started thinking of what would be the perfect solution and was curious if something like it existed! I am not looking to cheat the system and get these papers free I would just like a more economical means than having to buy every paper that looks interesting at 20 a pop. arXiv is great but unfortunately i can't find a lot of things on there that i want to read.

Because I look at several different topics and read a lot of papers I was curious if there was a service similar to a Universities where you can purchase access to a bunch of different journals for a set fee per month or something of the sort. Basically an open version of Academic Search Premier or something. I can even imagine a fee based system where you get to view X amount of papers per month or something, /shrug.

Random other question: Are scientific papers similar to published books in that they aren't part of the public domain until the death of the author + 70 years? (or whatever it is exactly). I was surprised by the fact that even most papers from the early 1900 are still behind the closed doors of journals and not open to everyone:(

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambduh said:
Having recently lost access to my old universities online library and thus access to all of the journals that the college is subscribed to i am now seeking other means of accessing recent papers.
A lot of professional societies provide access to the journals they publish (ex: ACM, IEEE), so if you're looking for those types of papers you may want to join a society. I also found that a few societies offer subsidized jstor subscriptions if you're a member.

I understand the frustration of losing access to academic journals and the high cost of purchasing individual papers. Fortunately, there are several options for finding affordable academic journals.

One option is to check with your local public or university library. Many libraries offer free access to a wide range of academic journals through their online databases. You can also ask your librarian if they have interlibrary loan services, which allow you to request specific articles from other libraries for a small fee.

Another option is to use open access journals, which make their articles freely available to the public. These journals often have lower publication fees for authors, which can result in more affordable access for readers. You can search for open access journals in your field through directories like the Directory of Open Access Journals.

Additionally, some universities and research institutions have institutional repositories where their faculty and students can deposit their published papers. These repositories often have open access policies, making the papers available to the public for free.

In terms of a service similar to a university's journal access, there are subscription-based services like JSTOR and ScienceDirect that offer access to a large number of journals for a monthly or annual fee. However, these services may not have access to all journals in your specific field.

As for your question about the copyright of scientific papers, it varies by publisher and journal. Some journals may have open access policies, while others may require a subscription or payment to access the paper. It is important to check the copyright policies of the journal before accessing or sharing any papers.

In summary, there are several options for finding affordable academic journals, including checking with your local library, using open access journals, and utilizing institutional repositories. It is also important to be aware of the copyright policies of the journals you are accessing.

What is the purpose of "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions"?

The purpose of "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" is to help researchers and academics find affordable and accessible academic journals for their research and studies. It aims to provide a comprehensive database of journals that are both high-quality and cost-effective, making it easier for individuals to access the information they need without breaking the bank.

How does "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" work?

"Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" works by compiling a list of academic journals that offer affordable subscription options or open access options. This list is regularly updated to ensure that the information is accurate and current. Users can search for specific journals or browse through different categories to find the journals they need.

Is "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" free to use?

Yes, "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" is completely free to use. It does not require any registration or payment to access the information. The goal is to make academic journals more accessible and affordable for everyone, so there are no fees associated with using this service.

Can "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" guarantee the quality of the listed journals?

No, "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" does not guarantee the quality of the listed journals. The service only provides information on the cost and accessibility of the journals. It is up to the individual to research and evaluate the quality of the journal before using it for their studies or research.

How often is the information on "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" updated?

The information on "Find Affordable Academic Journals - Journal Access Solutions" is updated regularly to ensure accuracy. However, the frequency of updates may vary depending on the availability of new information. Users can also submit suggestions for new journals to be added to the list or report any changes in the accessibility or cost of the listed journals.