Journal papers on dark matter?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student seeking help with finding journal papers on the topic of dark matter and its effect on globular structures for their undergrad research project. Various resources were suggested, including the SPIRES database at Stanford and a google search for review articles on dark matter. A paper by Douglas Finkbeiner on dark matter and globular clusters was also mentioned, as well as other papers on the same topic. The conversation also briefly touched on the idea of globular clusters being devoid of dark matter, with some resources suggested for further reading.
N83
Hello all,

I'm trying to do some research on dark matter and its effect on globular structures for my undergrad research project. I'm having difficulties gettin the ball rolling and need some help on where to look for journal papers on the topic.

Unfortunately the professor that I will be working under has been out of town for a while and I'm very excited to get started on this as soon as possible. Could you all point me in the right direction and/or supply me with a website or database that I can use for the research portion of my project?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The main working database for cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics is the SPIRES database at Stanford:

http://www-library.desy.de/spires/hep/

You can enter a search string to locate authors, keywords, etc. For a search on papers with Dark Matter in the title, you should type: 'find t dark matter' (the t denotes 'topic'). Of course, such a search will return tons and tons of hits. You can wade through and look for review articles -- these are probably your best bet and will likely be at a level more appropriate to an undergrad project. Another option is to perform a google search for something like "dark matter review article" or the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Globular clusters, for some odd reason, appear almost totally devoid of dark matter.

bapowell said:
The main working database for cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics is the SPIRES database at Stanford:

http://www-library.desy.de/spires/hep/

You can enter a search string to locate authors, keywords, etc. For a search on papers with Dark Matter in the title, you should type: 'find t dark matter' (the t denotes 'topic'). Of course, such a search will return tons and tons of hits. You can wade through and look for review articles -- these are probably your best bet and will likely be at a level more appropriate to an undergrad project. Another option is to perform a google search for something like "dark matter review article" or the like.

Great! Thank you for the help!

During our physics colloquium last semester we had a gentleman from the Harvard Center for Astrophysics give a presentation on dark matter. His name is Douglas Finkbeiner and here is a link to one of his papers concerning dark matter. He has written several others which can be found searching for him. Hope that helps. Chronos, do you have any articles referring to globular clusters being devoid of dark matter? That sounds interesting.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0810/0810.0713v3.pdf"

This is another interesting paper written by a different author.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1008/1008.2230v1.pdf"
Joe

1. What is dark matter and why is it important in scientific research?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other detection methods. Its importance in scientific research lies in the fact that it is believed to play a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe, and its properties can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics.

2. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists study dark matter through various methods such as observations of its gravitational effects on visible matter, simulations of the universe's evolution, and experiments in underground laboratories. They also look for indirect evidence of dark matter through its possible interactions with other particles, such as in particle colliders.

3. What are the current theories and hypotheses about dark matter?

There are several theories and hypotheses about dark matter, but the most widely accepted one is the Cold Dark Matter (CDM) model, which suggests that dark matter is made up of slow-moving particles that clumped together in the early universe. Other theories include Warm Dark Matter (WDM), which proposes that dark matter particles move faster than CDM particles, and Self-Interacting Dark Matter (SIDM), which suggests that dark matter particles can interact with each other through a new force.

4. What are some recent advancements in the study of dark matter?

Recent advancements in the study of dark matter include improved observations of its gravitational effects on galaxies and clusters of galaxies, as well as more sophisticated simulations of the universe's evolution. There have also been ongoing efforts to detect dark matter particles directly, with new and more sensitive experiments being developed.

5. What are the potential implications of understanding dark matter?

Understanding dark matter can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and innovations. Additionally, understanding dark matter can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and energy sources.